dilemna on 2012 mba or 2014 mbpr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dinokun, Dec 10, 2014.

1. dinokun macrumors newbie

i have a dilemna at the moment,

i currentlyown a 2012 custom order MBA - 256gb/8gb/i7 and its been serving me well on my videograph and photography rendering of slideshows and such,

I am thinking if i should spend $599 on the new transcend SDD 960gb replacement to replace my current 256gb

or
    should i grab a brand new rmbp with the standard specs of the newest rmbp - 1TB/16gb/i7 dual core 3.0 @ $2500 (13" mbpr)

or

1TB/16GB i7 quad 2.2 @ $2700 (15" mbpr without nvidia graphic card)

or

1tb/16gb/ i7 quad 2.5 @ $2900 (15"mbpr with nvidia graphic card)

i know most of u mention if money not a problem go for the more expensive one, but I prefer to be more resourceful, well the current one is working just some minor issue like extreme heat when rendering and small memory size and if rm2k can give it new life , e.g better and faster rendering, more stable, and bigger space, thats not alot of money to invest... I am looking for a solution which works for my videography part time job that is well utilizing my resources ($$)

on another note, i also worry will my 2012 unit suddenly breakdown when running on jobs? that is scary

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

For that workload...

I'd go with either of the 15 inch versions, the dGPU will be worth it if your apps use CUDA if not than the iGPU is pretty awesome.

The increased screen size and scaling options will be fantastic for that work. 1080p at full res with room to work around it always usefull, multiple windows on screen with more space etc also good.

The SSd will just give you more space it'll have little effect on rendering speed etc... thats GPu and CPu bound.

3. dinokun thread starter macrumors newbie

hi sam, thanks for the feedback,

i am now keen on looking at the 15", as the quad core is really attractive and big screen means more space estate.

however, i have another issue, i am not sure if i should pick the one with iris only or with iris+nvidia (dgpu) version. The differences is only $25 and its a small sum for the higher power one.

But I am absolutely concern because there are many reports saying mbpr with dgpu will not last 3 years as the dgpu is for sure to fail and breakdown.....i hope this is not true, but as usual my fate always lands me with a lemon unit most of the time. what do u think? with dgpu or without?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

One of the biggest reasons why the 2011 models had Radeongate was because the cMBP had lousy ventilation.

The rMBPs have far better ventilation, and NVIDIA GPUs are way more efficient than the Radeon ones.

Better to go for the variant with dGPU.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'd be conceded as well, since Apple's track record (2008, 2010, 2011) all have dGPU issues. I'd opt for the iGPU only, for peace of mind.

I don't know how much the GPU is used on the apps you listed so, I can't say if you'll be better off with the dGPU, but one thing is for sure the Iris Pro is much better then the GPU that's in the MBA that you're currently using.