Dillema - MacBook Pro or iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lozanoj83, May 6, 2010.

1. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Hey everyone, i'm in a bit of a dillema here.
    I will be upgrading my MacBook Pro 15" (selling it/trading it away). However, i'm not sure if I want a 17" MacBook Pro or a 27" iMac. I'm currently a student, and my setup is MacBook Pro in clamshell mode, with a 23" Dell Flat Screen. I'm not sure if it would be better just to get a 27" iMac, and be portable with my iPad, or just get a 17", keep my 23" Dell screen and my iPad.

I'm not exactly sure what to do, which setup would be best. I use my MacBook Pro to do code, C++ or MatLab, and write essays/browse the web, the usual. I also go home sporadically, and take it with me. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Go for a MacBook Pro with an external display. Unless you need to save money by buying a cheaper iMac, an MBP + a display gives you much more flexibility. Also, are you set on a 17" model? If you opt for an external display + clamshell mode, I think that you'd be better off saving your money and going for a 15" model.

3. lozanoj83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Im set on a 17" or 27" iMac. The thing is, I already have the setup for the clamshell mode. If I get the 27", I wont be paying anything, neither if I get the 17".

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

It really comes down to how often you travel and how much hassle you feel like going through when you do so. You may want to analyse your behaviour over the next couple of days/weeks and see what would work best for you.

Basically, try carting the iPad around and seeing how often you feel "limited"—do you find yourself wanting/needing to pop into MatLab or Word? Do you find yourself wanting to go to the lounge or cafe and get some work done? Is there a computer at home you can use when you visit, or would it be more useful for you to have access to your own files? I can't imagine the 27-inch iMac travels easily.

And if you're in doubt, go for the MBP. I don't travel with mine that often, but those few times that I do, I find it to be really valuable. I don't do any kind of coding, though—the only real work I ever do on the go is recording and audio editing.