Dillemma on buying macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lbjandai, May 11, 2008.

1. lbjandai macrumors member

From Macmall

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz, 15" TFT, 2GB DDR2, 250GB SATA, Nvidia GeForce 8600 512MB, 8x SuperDrive, Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR & iSight, OS X 10.5 Leopard GLOSSY

+2 more gigs of kingston memory (total=4)

and the servicenet laptop protection deal (accidental damage and more)- http://tinyurl.com/42gxf3

$3,161.84

from school

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    with 6MB shared L2 Cache
    2GB (2 SODIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
    250GB 5400rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive
    8X double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    with 512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
    Multi-Touch TrackPad

+2GB of memory (4 GB total)
    AppleCare for three years and
    Safeware (accidental damage protection)

$3,206

it also comes with: however, I don't care about any of this, i just included this in the equation for you to see where the numbers come out. I already have a office 08 for mac license, flash drive, ethernet cable, and surge protector. the security lock and bag can be bought.

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
    Laptop Carrying Case
    2GB Flash Drive
    Surge Protector
    Security Lock
    25' Ethernet Cable

My dillemma is I kind of want a glossy screen, and the extra 100 mhz won't make much of a difference, but i will take it - i'm spending the big bucks I might as well get exactly what I want. MY school, however, doesnt offer a 2.6 model or glossy on any of its models.

Then there is the issue of accidental damage protection. If I could get accidental damage and just some protection from faulty products from apple, it sounds like I would need both applecare and accidental damage.

But, I do not know about the reputation of servicenet, and I know they cover accidental damage, but in terms of not faulty parts, i don't know if they would cover that.

Don't you get a 30 or 90 day warranty anyways from applecare, so any faulty parts I could just get fixed by them in those first 90 days - then be on the servicenet protection if anything went wrong from then on?

Now i thought about the benefits from buying through my school, I could always go to them for help, but to be honest, I know what I am doing with computers (i run my own tech support business on the side), if i had issues, it would be hardware issues, and they probably wouldnt be able to do anything with that - i'd just have to send it to apple.

Let me know what you think!

I guess I could try the whole home owners insurance protection a few people have mentioned, but if I am at college and its my dads home owners insurance that is for a home in another state, if it is damaged or stolen at my college, is it still covered??

2. matt90 macrumors member

Personally, I would go with the second option, just because of all of the extra stuff, but given your preferences, I think that you should go with the first one. They both have protection and, yes, most initial hardware problems should become apparent in the first 90 days.

3. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

sounds like you answered your own questions already...as for you home owners insurance theory, nope. i tried it before (parents are in Texas, i was in Cali) and was politely shot down :cool: course it may vary depending on the insurance company but i'm pretty sure they are more or less the same.