Dillemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fasailmac, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Fasailmac macrumors member

Before i get flamed, I want all of you to know that im a big supporter for apple and its OS and I love steve Jobs lol. Ive always had a mac desktop and a pc laptop for school. I recently replaced my pc notebook with a 13 macbook pro. The battery life's been amazing, the processor is decent and its worth every penny. Here comes the dilemma, for school i usually have 6-8 pdf files in the background and well i find it hard to locate all of them with os X. I tried using bootcamp and well the thing runs real hot and the mouse doesn't work well. So i have been considering replacing it with a pc laptop but quality pc notebooks are hard to come by. I found one notebook id consider to be a macbook substitute. Its this http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10126029&logon=&langid=EN. I know its a pc and im asking the wrong forums but do you guys think its a reasonable substitute.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you think it will suit you better, go for it. It is your decision after all.

3. Fasailmac thread starter macrumors member

4. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The computer seems alright performance wise. It got the same P8700 as the MBP, 4GB of RAM, a larger HDD. It even has better graphics.

5. LurchNC macrumors regular

Hi,
    If a PC fits your work flow better,then by all means go for it. There are many advantages to Windows for most people. I'm curious though, what you mean by "it's hard to locate the pdf's". Do you mean finding them on your hard drive, or locating them all when they are open? Or am I completely off base and it's something different. lol

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What do you mean by this?

There is Spotlight for fast searching the index of your drive(s).
    There is Exposé for having a look at All Windows or All Application Windows.

Why the need for Windows? Because of the Taskbar?

In Snow Leopard there will be a new way of interacting with the Dock and Exposé: http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/expose.html .

I normally have five to fifteen applications with up to 30 windows open at any time, depending on the needed workflow, and I seldom have trouble finding something due to the combination of Spaces and Exposé.
    I have twelve Spaces, three rows and four columns.
    One row for every kind of workflow.
    Top row for interacting with my system (Activity Monitor, Disk Utility, System Update, ...) and internet activities.
    Middle row for either photography needs - Lightroom to Photoshop - or video need - editing to compositing to colour correction to DVD authoring.
    And the bottom row is reserved for music and film entertainment and word processing.

So maybe organizing would help your workflow with Preview or Adobe while working with PDFs.

Just a thought.

7. Fasailmac thread starter macrumors member

ye im definately missing the taskbar when it comes to viewing 8 pdfs, i know i can set up spaces but i find it difficult because i like having them all on one window rather then 4 separate areas. Hopefully snow leopard will help. This and the fact that it takes about 7 bounces for word to load up i love the laptop. I feel as if the samsung might be my only choice, i looked at it today and the build quality is amazing and the look is well ok, its certainly no macbook pro but whatever. ARGH i hate buyers remorse. On a side note i went through 5 phones to and ended up with an iphone. I LOVE IT

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I'm wondering if Expose would help you find your files quicker?

10. Fasailmac thread starter macrumors member

the pdfs i look at are straight up text and when i have 8 or 9 open its rather difficult to identify which one is which. I guess its more of a convenience issue. Anyone know about the word issue. It takes really long to start up even with 4gb and 7200rpm hard drive.

11. Fasailmac thread starter macrumors member

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Word has also been slow to start on Mac. Have you updated to the latest version, released last week? It has gotten much faster.

13. Fasailmac thread starter macrumors member

i have its definitely better but its not a big enough issue to be a deterrent. Just the pdf problem, i find myself squinting. Im sure its easier with the 15 inch but it was a tad too much for me.