Dim Retina MBP screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Dec 2, 2012.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

All the retina MBP's I tried have very dim screens. On maximum brightness, it's not as bright as my 2010 MBP Anti-Glare MBP.

Is this a known issue with the new retina screen?

2. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I believe Anandtech stated in his review that the screens were about 10% dimmer. That is probably to be expected as the smaller pixels, by nature, let in less light. But in everyday use, it is fine. Yes, I also have a 17" MBP with the Anti-glare screen and I don't need to turn the brightness nearly as high. Currently, I am using my screen at about 55% brightness in my home during the daytime with slight overcast skye.

3. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I wouldnt say they are very dim, they are more dim but not enough to call an issue. I dont even use mine at max brightness all that much.

4. neilpryde23 macrumors regular

I believe that people have posted pictures of 2 rMBPs on full brightness and one was much dimmer than the other so I think there is some variation depending on the individual screen.

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

samsung brighter

I think the samsung is brighter than the LG version.

6. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

They're both too dim but the LG is even dimmer than the Samsung.

I suspect Apple restricts the maximum brightness so that when reviewers review the units, they will report excellent battery life with brightness set to maximum.

7. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I doubt Apple would do this. It's the smaller pixels that are at the cause of this. The retina iPad 3 needed 2 light bars instead of 1 on the iPad 2s with the low resolution display to achieve acceptable brightness levels. I have both and the iPad2 is still brighter than the 3 at maximum brightness.

LCDs work like little shutters on a window. The larger the pixel, the more light gets through. But when you have a higher resolution screen, the pixels are increased and have to be made smaller so less light comes through.

8. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

The maximum brightness on my 15" rMBP is blinding. In a room with low light, it is especially noticeable.

9. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Mine as well.

10. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Never noticed a difference. If there is a difference it is very small.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

difference

I just got a new rMBP. (this was my third try, first LG had IR and 2nd LG had low brightness)

this new one, is a samsung, and has pretty much the same brightness as my 2008 matte MBP. I run it about 2-3 clicks from top and top brightness is TOO bright. So, IMHO there IS a difference and it is most likely vendor specific.

12. Haifisch macrumors regular

In the evening, under all incandescent lights, I always run mine 2-3 clicks less than half, when surfing sites like MR with white backgrounds.

During the day, by an open window, I set it at half.

Samsung screen.