Dimmer backlight than Max setting on New MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DYER, Nov 25, 2008.

1. DYER macrumors 6502

are there any programs that will allow you to dim the backlight more than the current built in max seetings? i would love to be able to dim it a bit more is this a hardware or software problem?:rolleyes:
    This is mainly for use during outdoor astrophotography as i want the backlight as dim as possible whilst having enough to see the settings on screen. Nocturne which i saw on the forum today is a great programme but i was wondering if this is a possibility instead?

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

there's some software called 'shades' you can try. Never tried it myself.

3. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I'd like some solution to this too. I've got a projector in the basement, so the lights have to be off to watch stuff. If I'm multitasking with the MBP, even the lowest setting is too bright. Opens the irises too much!

4. DYER thread starter macrumors 6502

interesting program thanks for that... not quite what i am looking for however its a real good start and if no one knows of anything better it will do the job :D

Its wonderfull that i can download soo many programs without needing to worry too much about viruses... i was so much more carefull on pc lol:D

5. DYER thread starter macrumors 6502

yep similar problem to mine.. the night sky is DARK and even on its dimmest setting my MBP is BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT... nocturne helps a lot if you set it to red but it means i cant read the settings in the CCD controller program which defeats the point...

6. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

7. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

8. DYER thread starter macrumors 6502

good app this is implemented much much beter than shader and will do what i want it to do when out photographing our lonely planets....
    However I am guessing that it is a hardware limitation that the backlight cannot be dimmed more than it is at its minimum setting which is a shame because i see the possibility of saving more batterey as well...

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Or you could just go low tech and get some static cling window tint. Just throwing it out there. Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest ones.