All iPads Ding in chamfered edge

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Osubuck37, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Osubuck37 macrumors newbie

My friend was holding my rMini and dropped it on the tile floor, and now there's a small chip in the chamfered edge. I just purchased this iPad about a month ago, and I can't stop my self from seeing this chip everytime I look at it.

Is there anything I can do, and will this hurt resale value?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's nothing you can do about it, and yes it will impact its resale value

Bummers on it damage :(

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apples full leather case will cover up the edge.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Will it hurt the resale?:rolleyes: Did you really ask that?

You can put it in a case that hides the edge with the ding or ask your "friend" to buy you another. I am sorry for the damage, if I were your friend I would feel really bad.:eek:

5. Osubuck37 thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I asked about resale is that for the iPhone 5, which I recently purchased used, dings did not really affect the value. And I can't really ask my friend to pay, because I asked him to carry it while I was a holding a bunch of other things. It's just frustrating because the iPad is so new.

6. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't pay full price on a phone or tablet that had physical defects, but I guess others would :/

8. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

It is still covered under Apple's warranty. Do what the others' have done and fine-tooth-comb the screen. Find an issue you can replicate in store and ask for an exchange. It is sad, but that method would probably work. Not that I'm advocating it...

9. Detrias macrumors member

Well as time passes, the impact on resale value for that type of damage will reduce as well. On a 1-2+ year old product, small dings and scratches (even more if not in the functional part of the screen) are expected. If it bothers you that much, get a cover for it. I used to care about small details like those, but i found it better to just enjoy the device and attribute any small damage to normal tear and wear.

10. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

It fell on tile and it only got a small chip? Count yourself extremely lucky and buy a case. Better yet, hint around to your "friend" that he should (at least) buy you a case. This is why no one holds my iPad but me.

11. Osubuck37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha I almost wish the screen had shattered so I could get accidental insurance coverage.