ding?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deldakota, Jan 3, 2008.

1. deldakota macrumors newbie

downloaded "ding" from southwest airlines, how do i get it to stay in dock, or screen? or where ever it is suppossed to be? it says click on icon, and drag to applications folder to complete?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

To install some Mac software requires you to drag the program icon to the Applications folder. Once you have done that double click the icon to install.
    Once this is done drag the program icon from the Applications folder to the dock. To run the program just click the icon on the dock .. :)

3. deldakota thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! got it into dock finally, but there is also a icon on on desktop outside of dock. is that normal?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There probably shouldn't be one on your Desktop. Did you follow Father Jack's (and Southwest's) instructions.

1. The download from Southwest's site will be a .dmg file. Double click that.

2. A "mounted drive" will appear on your Desktop. Open that.

3. Inside should be the Ding! application. Drag it into your Applications folder in Finder.

4. Drag the mounted drive to the Trash to eject it. Drag the .dmg file to the Trash.

5. Ding! is now installed. You can put it in your Dock in a couple of ways:
    a. Drag Ding! from your Applications folder to your Dock. The app will stay in your Applications folder, but it will also create an icon on your Dock.
    b. Open Ding! by double clicking the icon in your Applications folder. Then right click on the Dock icon for the opened app and select "Keep in Dock."​

If you did not follow these steps, I'd advise deleting your current Dock icon for it, as it may not be pointing to the correct location for the app.

5. deldakota thread starter macrumors newbie

6. mermaid1111 macrumors newbie

another question about ding and mac

on my mac i have to open the ding application each time before it dings which almost defeats the purpose. the ding is suppose to ding on it's own when there are sales. on my pc it just worked automatically w/o me having to do anything. am i supposed to keep the ding application open 24/7 in order for it to notify me automatically on a mac? should i just open the ding application every time i use the computer and keep it open until i'm done, or should i keep it open24/7? i thought it is not good to leave applications open on a mac, but mine doesn't ding unless it is open. please advise the best way to use ding on a mac.

7. TheVendor macrumors member

You could set Ding as a launch option, and have it launch as "hidden", so that it will be as though it is not running until you need it. And this goes for any OS - it's not inherently bad to leave an app running, but if that app is unstable it will be more likely to crash the longer that it's been running

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

After installation on the Mac, DING automatically install itself in the Login Items (or Startup Items on some OSX versions) list in the Accounts pane of the System Preferences (without asking for authorization BTW).

Because of that, DING starts up automatically when you start up your Mac (or restart it) IF it was installed correctly as was posted by others above, with no need for you to start the program manually after the first restart or startup. You will from that point forward see the icon (marked active) running in the dock (with the exclamation point superimposed when there are new deals).

In order for it to monitor their site yes it must be run all the time- and it will only monitor the site if you are have a full time internet connection (or when you are online via dial-up internet access if that is what you have).

Now that being said, I will caution you to start watching for odd behavior from your Mac when using it. While pretty stable with the PC version apparently (after talking to a few people I know using it on PCs), the Mac version is not nearly the same in my experience. I ran it for a couple of months in 2007 under OSX 10.4 and had a bunch of odd behavior that after hours of troubleshooting I was finally able to trace to DING. Disabled it and problems vanished. Now I am NOT saying that you will have similar problems on the Mac version, but when I checked it out again just now I was dismayed to find that it is STILL the same version that was released in 2006 (version 1.05) so that is why I caution you. Perhaps it did not need it but I found it interesting that there have been NO updates at all since then- even with the introduction of 10.5 and such. By the way, should you have difficulties with it, forget trying to report that or get support. Several emails detailing the problems were sent to their "support" section with 0 replies.

Good luck with it- I really hope it runs problem free for you and I wish I could run it without concern! Just thought I would mention the above just in case you start to experience some unexpected problems as it might save you some serious troubleshooting! ;)

9. mermaid1111 macrumors newbie

hi, thanks for all the info. i know mine is installed correctly because i just restarted and it opened automatically. i have a laptop so my computer is always in hibernation until i open the lid. my ding application is in the dock as should be. since i have been quitting whatever was open before closing the lid, when i re-open, ding is still closed. (since i didn't restart). sounds like i'll just have to open ding when i'm online so it can ding if there are specials. if i restart, it automatically opens, even if i closed it down on the last session, but if i have quit ding, and later open the lid from hibernation, i have to manually open ding from the dock. i guess that is a minor thing. am i correct in all this? i'm just used to my PC where i didn't have to do a thing and ding would do it's thing w/o me having to click on anything. so i guess since i rarely restart my computer, my choices are to click on ding from the dock whenever i open my computer and leave it on the while i'm online, OR leave ding running all the time....is that correct?
    and thanks for the warning, so far i have had no interference with ding, but at least now i am aware.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Applications won't launch themselves when your computer wakes from sleep, so if you're closing Ding! before you put your computer to sleep, that's the root of your issue. Just leave it running when you close the lid and it'll be ready to go when you wake your computer later.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

WildCowboy is right- there is no need to quit any apps before the computer sleeps- and indeed that would require you to restart them when it awakens.

The whole idea of sleep is to in essence "freeze" the current state of the computer so that you can go right back to work when you wake it without missing a beat- so just leave it running.

12. mermaid1111 macrumors newbie