Dingit tv - malware ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Mercurian, Sep 4, 2016.

1. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Last couple of days I've my MBP fans spinning more than usual. I've also had one hard crash for no apparent reason. Anyhow, today I noticed the fans spinning again so I opened up Activity Monitor to find a flash program called dingit.tv running. I went to safari and there was a second window open on a website called dingit.tv which seemed to be some sort of streaming tv service. Anyhow I killed the process ASAP, but now I am worried I have some malware onboard. I never heard of dingit.tv before and certainly don't remember visiting that site.

Anyone know what dinigit.tv is ? My inter-searching has not revealed a clear answer. How do I make sure this is off my machine ?

Edit: I found a stack overflow quesiton about it: http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...running-in-safari-using-1gb-memory-and-15-cpu

They suggest to download an uninstaller from dinit.tv - but I'm not doing that

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you went to a site that spawned that dingit.tv web page on its own. As long as you did not enter your password to allow anything to install, you are fine.

You could run MalWareBytes once just to be sure if you want.

3. The Mercurian thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi Weaselboy. Yeah I looked through my history and found i visited it once about 8 or 9 months ago but I don't remember that. But why now ? What worries me is it seemingly started itself up. I found and removed their cookie - but can a cookie redirect to a website many months later ?? Thanks for the suggestion I might run that. I ran a full AVG AV scan and found nothing at least.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Cookies can persist a long time. They either have to be cleared or have to expire. Browsers accept long expiry dates (think decennia). Internet plugins like Flash have their own mechanisms to persist data. Depending on how the software works, it is possible that a website may have triggered it using the plugin interface of your browser.

If you are unwilling to use the uninstaller, then you have to start looking for the program and all its files. It seems to be related to http://www.octoshape.com.

5. The Mercurian thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I have a vague memory of updating flash recently and I'm wondering if it was not fully legit. I think time had come to delete flash entirely. I've run MalWareBytes, AVG and both say it is clean and I have also now installed 1blocker
    --- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2016 ---
    Yup pretty unwilling to run the uninstaller from the untrustworthy site that has afflicted the machine in the first place.