Dinosaur Documentary Series 'Prehistoric Planet' Coming to Apple TV+ From Producer Jon Favreau

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has greenlit a new project from producer/director Jon Favreau for Apple TV+, called "Prehistoric Planet." The series is said to provide a look at the last days of the dinosaurs using CGI to recreate the events (via Variety).

[​IMG]
    Image by John Salangsang via Shutterstock/Variety

Favreau is known for directing films like "Iron Man," the live-action version of "The Jungle Book" and the upcoming reboot of "The Lion King." He will partner with "Planet Earth II" producer Mike Gunton on Apple's new series, which will be produced by BBC Studios' Natural History Unit.

Apple announced Apple TV+ in March during an event filled with various celebrities, including Oprah, Jason Momoa, and Steven Spielberg. The company's streaming service is set to launch in the fall of 2019 and it will be housed in the existing TV app.

Besides documentaries and natural history series like "Prehistoric Planet," Apple TV+ will include numerous scripted dramatic and comedic shows. These include "The Morning Show," "See," "Truth Be Told," "Dickinson," an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" book series, and more. You can see every show coming to Apple TV+ right here.

Article Link: Dinosaur Documentary Series 'Prehistoric Planet' Coming to Apple TV+ From Producer Jon Favreau

2. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

3. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Hasn’t this topic been done to death? Pretty sure there are already countless documentaries of this nature.

I thought Apple TV+ was supposed to be “a new streaming service where the most creative minds in TV and film tell the kinds of stories only they can”

4. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

"...an event filled with various celebrities"

I'd prefer an event filled with various products.

5. lunarworks macrumors 68000

There have been countless "Planet Earth" type documentaries, yet they continue to be a big draw.

6. breather macrumors member

breather

7. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I’d say this will make Jon Favreau Happy, but he already was... ;)

8. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Every documentarian (?) offer a different perspective, and given that we continue to glean new information about the dinosaurs... it's entirely likely that the older documentaries have incomplete and/or inaccurate information. Alas, give it a few years and this too will be outdated.

Still... bring it on!

9. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Thanks for speaking for everyone.

10. kostthem macrumors newbie

Really can't wait about this. Not a sarcasm, I really mean it, a good video service needs good documentaries.

11. diego macrumors regular

diego

If they bundled Atv+ with Apple music for a couple $ more it would be a huge success... as long as they keep them separate I'm afraid very few will be interested in this. If there is one company that can afford charging very little or nothing for this content is Apple.

12. Benjamid macrumors member

Benjamid

I’m a sucker for Dinosaurs, so this might get me over the edge.
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2019 ---
    I say that, I love Dinosaurs and so do my kids:)

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

That’s what I’m here for, to speak for everyone.

14. Wildsau macrumors newbie

Wildsau

Maybe everyone else in the world shares your opinion, but I don't. I love stuff like this, and I actually can't wait to watch it with my son. Favreau's CG direction has been on point to date and I'm betting he will knock this out of the park. If you want to be taken seriously, don't use phrases like "says no one".

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

If you want to get excited over a cgi dinosaur doc based on the directors pov, go for it!

16. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

If ten years ago someone said Apple would be come a so-called "phone company" (since IOS devices now count for a majority of Apple's revenues) I would have said you are nuts, Apple is a "computer company" (yes I know iPhones and iPads are really computers).

With Apple getting into original content creation coupled with their distribution channels (AppleTV, iTunes, etc.), I would say, I can see this as potentially a smart move for Apple that could result in significant revenues.

17. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Knowing this, how am I expected to watch this without constantly seeing him consoling Tony Stark’s daughter at the end of End Game? :apple:

18. cardfan macrumors 68000

That’s even worse than the noone post. I’ll be honest. It could be ok. If I had insomnia. But I can’t see paying for apples mess.

19. ikramerica macrumors 6502

This show will be so money, you don’t even know it.

20. progx macrumors regular

progx

Every article about Apple TV+ I read, this feels like a race to get content on ALL these streaming sites. Between Netflix, Hulu, FUNimation and other ones, how would one have enough time to enjoy ALL of this content?

With Disney Plus getting into the game, this is getting to be too much.

21. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

This makes me Happy. The last time I saw him, he was sad.

22. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

IMHO, I think Apple should take a look at Amazon Prime "Originals" to get an idea of what people REALLY want to watch and include this for free w/Apple Music sub. like Amazon does with Prime subscription. Then I might be interested.

23. truthertech, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019

truthertech macrumors 68000

There is already vastly more content than you could ever watch. What you are seeing is the culmination of the move from cable with 400 channels of content (to quote you-"who could ever have enough time to enjoy ALL of that content?") to separate bundles. The companies that succeed will be those who offer enough stuff in their bundle to attract enough people to pay (directly or indirectly, e.g., Amazon Prime) for it.

There are billions of potential customers so there is room for multiple companies to do well, and Apple is well poised to succeed with the largest pot of money (they are all competing for the same group of producers, directors and actors, so money talks) and the largest and most successful ecosystem in the world. "One trick ponies," like Netflix and Spotify in music, are the companies most vulnerable in the future as they try and compete in an increasingly competitive market against industry giants who have multiple income streams and areas to leverage streaming.

24. timber macrumors 6502

Documentaries are nice, some people enjoy them (I'm watching that one about Mossad on Netflix) but you can't build a streaming service around them, they are just filler.

25. mikethemartian macrumors 6502

But most importantly for being Eric the Clown