dinosaurs with frickin' laser beams

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
another reason the hollywood machine is just, well, bad.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/9638

"Bloody-Disgusting learned this weekend that Universal Pictures has officially begun casting for Jurassic Park IV, which will film in Kauai, Hawaii later this year! . . . We're told that the film is about the government who has trained dinosaurs to carry weapons and use them for battle purposes."

this movie might just be so bad it skips horrible and goes right to extraordinary.*

*assuming this rumor is true of course

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
If it's executed right this has a chance to be good. That chance being about 1%

BUT

Get an indy writer and give him a low budget. He will do well with it.

Hollywood would just go wild with a hundred million dollar budget and try to spend it all to make it look as scary and explosive as possible.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
I think when you're talking about dinosaurs you have to use the word "train" pretty loosely. Some of them might be smarter than an iguana, but I don't think they would be much more trainable.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Jurassic Park - great book from the learly 90s; 95% of characters perish

Jurassic Park - great movie that blurred the line between animatronic and CGI; only a handful die

Jurassic Park: Lost World - book with an awesome continuation of a stunted story; more gore and death

Jurassic Park: Lost World - movie that hacked the book to pieces and added an ending that made no sense; not enough people die and the annoying actors deserved it; "The Fly" cant even save this picture

Jurassic Park 3 - not even a book to pull a decent story from, it uses dinosaurs not seen in JP2 but were mentioned in the book and if you played any arcades back in the day, the "Invisible" dinosaur was in the arcade shooter machine; piece of crap with even worse actors than before; not even bringing back Dr Grant can save this picture

JP4 - are you freaking serious?

All the while Michael Chrichton says "That's Chrichton with a CH, and add another zero please, thanks"

Just let the franchise die. The 90s were a great time for Dinos, kids like me had that strange young fascination with them. But today, if they dont have laserbeams on their heads, its another yawn fest.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Dude I thought this was going to be some rant about Austin Powers and Dr. Evil's new beasts -- upgraded from the sharks with frikin' laser beams.

Wouldn't a dinosaur already be pretty much unstoppable without the laser beam?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Dude I thought this was going to be some rant about Austin Powers and Dr. Evil's new beasts -- upgraded from the sharks with frikin' laser beams.

Mmm Sharks with lazers , o goody Jaws 5 ?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I'd much rather see this get made :D. I'd pay to see that.

Could be nice if they stick to a pulp feel and don't try to spice it up for the 21th century.

Attachments

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007

Maybe they can only train herbavore-osaurs and they had to add the lasers to make them scary.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
They stole the storyline from Nanosaur 2. Now all they need are wormholes that you can travel through space and time in and it'll be total ripoff! :cool:

Seriously though, let it die. It's done enough damage with JP3.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I think when you're talking about dinosaurs you have to use the word "train" pretty loosely. Some of them might be smarter than an iguana, but I don't think they would be much more trainable.
Actually -- the premise of Micheal Crichton's book (remember that, before there were movies?) is that some dinosaurs were warm-blooded (or semi warm at least) and that enabled larger brains and more intelligence -- which is what led to the velociraptors hunting in packs and employing communication and strategy.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Yes!

Is Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes directing this? It seems so. Oh, to the OP, I think you forgot to put in that there will be a few transmogrifers, a radioflyer wagon, an a-bomb or two, and some deranged mutant killer monster snow goons.:D:D:D