Dire Straits on What To Do!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Exodemia, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. Exodemia macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #1
    This is an absolutely nightmare, all these updates with MacBook Pro, Leopard coming as well and I need to buy a laptop for by 1st October! I don't what to do now, whether to just shove the MBP and get a normal laptop with more features like Blu-Ray, HDMI port, 8700M GT etc. or get a MBP now! Or maybe buy a cheap PowerBook and hold off. I'm so confused! What do you guys think? :confused:
     
  2. trippr macrumors member

    trippr

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
  3. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

    Jaffa Cake

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2004
    Location:
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    #4
    If I remember correctly, Leopard will be retailing at the same price as Tiger – $129.

    Exodemia – if you’re able to hold off your purchase for a month or so then that may be advisable to see what happens, but if as you say you need to buy the laptop sharpish then you may as well go for it. Your MacBook Pro won’t become obsolete when any upgrades are announced (be that in October or not), far from it it’ll be a perfectly capable machine that’ll serve you well for a few years at least.
     
  5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    You can wait forever -- there will always be the next product around the corner.

    If there is a model or system that meets your needs and budget now, then get it. It will still work when Apple releases something new.
     
  6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

    Cybergypsy

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Central Florida!
    #6
    The mac hold vale well, if something yo want more comes out sell it :)
     
  7. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
  8. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #8
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past when new Mac OS's are released, doesn't :apple: have a sale on release night for $89 or so? Also, Amazon has run rebates for the first 2 months after release as well.

    If you need a machine now, buy it now. $100 for the new OS is not material if you ask me.

    Or like the other poster said, when there is a compelling hardware upgrade released, upgrade to it. The current MBP's are great machines already! Minus BluRay of course...
     
  9. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #9
    Erm I'm going to have to think about things again, it's so difficult. Have to see how things go.
     
  10. Zianac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #10
    If you need a computer now... then buy a computer now. There isn't any sense in waiting. Maybe someone has an extra laptop that you can borrow till the updates come?
     
  11. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #11
    Well as I said buying a cheap Powerbook is a possibility :)
     
  12. maberga29 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Location:
    OR, PA, Taggia IT
    #12
    I'd say get a used iBook G4 or Powerbook G4 (macbook if you need more) and hope that holds until Leopard... and maybe the next MBP update. :)
     
  13. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

    compuguy1088

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2007
    Location:
    In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
    #13
    Just get your MBP now, they are not going to refresh it until some time next year, unless you were thinking of getting a Macbook, which by the refreshes, should be refreshed sooner than the MBP.
     
  14. jdechko macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    #14
    Buy the computer now, if you need it now. Leopard will only be $129 when it's released (in late October, mind you), and I'm almost certain you won't see any updates to the MBP before January. Even then, the HDMI port and the 8700 aren't at all likely to show up in those updates, and the Blu-Ray, while theoretically possible, will be a several-hundred dollar BTO option that might only be available on the 17". The next MBP update won't be anything to write home about.
     
  15. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #15
    Well they are pretty cheap and I can probably hold off on that for now. I'll just to have make an executive decision.
     
  16. trippr macrumors member

    trippr

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #16
    how different is leopard going to be to tiger...

    any info links??

    also, any idea how much it will be in the UK?
     
  17. jdechko macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    #17
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/ ;)

    Leopard will be the same price as Tiger currently is over there (maybe + or - a little bit as Apple occasionally adjusts it's prices for currency conversions).

    EDIT: Looks like 89 GBP (sorry, I don't know the symbol keystroke - US layout and all)
     
  18. trippr macrumors member

    trippr

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #18
    hehe, thanks for the heads up...

    shouldn't of been so lazy and searched for my self..

    still waiting for my first mac to arrive but will more then likely upgrade once available.
     

Share This Page