direct access to external devices?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spacka, Jul 23, 2008.

1. spacka macrumors member

hello all.

i was just wondering if there was a way to "view" external devices, or have them show up in finder?

i bought a 16 in 1 card reader and put in my SD card but it just prompts my digital camera software to open, and i cant access the SD card directly.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

3. spacka thread starter macrumors member

erm, no. just my HD disks are shown in disk utility.

i CAN access the device in my digital camera software (as this opens automatically) and i can choose to import the photos, but i cant access them directly and/or delete them.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

5. spacka thread starter macrumors member

i dont know what you mean.

i thought it was pretty common knowledge that devices dont show up on finder, but i was just wondering if anybody knew of a way to do so?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No it's not common behavior nor common knowledge.

My memory cards always show up in finder. Perhaps after you download the photos, you should reformat it in your camera?

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

taking a wild stab here, but maybe the card needs to be formatted as fat32?
    maybe if it's formatted ntfs the only way it's seen is through the software.

somehow, i don't think that makes sense, but i'm trying to shoot something out there :)

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Your 16 in 1 card reader is doing something most 16 in 1 card readers don't do. From what you cay the card reader is set up to use "Pict bridge" (look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PictBridge ) rather then "mass storage". I've never heard of a card reader that would do that. This would be a nice feature for a card reader that some people might like. Perhaps there is a way to switch it between this and "mass storage"

On the Mac (and Windows and Linux and....) when a USB device is plugged in the OS looks at the type of device it is and reacts it it. The Mac is set up to mount and display and icon for mass storage devices like disks and flash ram cards and so on and when a pictbridge device is plugged it what a mac does depends on a preference setting. You can select from "nothing" or "run a program" and then you can select the program. Most people would choose either iPhoto, image capture or Aperture as the program.

Plug in your reader. Go to "about This Mac" and look under USB and see that kind of device your read reader is.

9. spacka thread starter macrumors member

ok let me start again.

when i plug my digital camera into my mac, it automatically opens some fujifilm finepix viewer (software) that came with the camera and inside i can import my photos (it has its own way of organizing folders etc) and i can view files on the device but i cannot delete any straight from the device nor does it show up under devices on Finder.

this software also opens by default when i plug in my iPhone. and then when i bought the card reader it still opens when i put my SD card into the reader.

it never shows up on the finder window.

10. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like you need to change a preference in "fujifilm finepix viewer (software)". When it launches, check under the Application menu for Preferences and start looking at all of them. Disable those that will automatically launch the program when you plug in one of your devices.

11. spacka thread starter macrumors member

yeah i tried that and nothing seemed to work.

then i uninstalled it and still nothing.

12. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Check these in System Preferences:

1. See if you have an "extra" preference pane listed that is related to the software you removed.

2. Under your Account, Login items, see if you have an entry related to the software.

Now, under Finder Preferences

General: "Show these items..." check all of them
    Sidebar: Check all items

See if this helps.

13. spacka thread starter macrumors member

ok turns out i was slightly wrong.

when inserted into my card reader, the SD card DID show up, it was just titled NONAME, and i assumed it was my USB stick but it wasnt.

however, my cameras and devices still fail to show up in finder in any other case. this was the bit i thought was common.

anyway, doesnt bother me as long as it works via the card reader.

cheers.

14. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Your cameras will not show up in the Finder as they are not considered storage devices. They should show up in iPhoto though. I'm not sure what you mean by "...and devices". What devices?

15. spacka thread starter macrumors member

yeah my bad i guess its just cameras and therefore i included my SD card in the same bracket (as it was in my camera).

i remember now how iphoto showed the camera but doesnt iphoto have its own separate way of organising files etc?

also im pretty sure in iphoto i was still unable to delete photos.

16. apple. macrumors member

open up terminal
    and enter this code exactly then press enter

killall Finder

you can do that with the dock

killall Dock

but after you put it in, press enter

17. spacka thread starter macrumors member