Direct Connect with new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kylevk, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kylevk macrumors newbie

The new iMac is here, and this will be my first mac. I was reading on Apple's website and I discovered the direct connect method. I had originally planned to use our external HDD to move the files, but this looks alot easier. The only thing I couldn't figure out is my XP pc's sharename. Finding the IP address isn't so difficult, but they lost me with the sharename.

:apple:'s Website:

smb://IPaddress/ShareName

Just want to know my sharename.
    Also, a basic walkthrough this would be appreciated:

Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.

VOLUME: E or C drive?
    There are no passwords, just leave it blank?
    The workgroup name is somewhere in my computer, I'll find it if I look and do some Googlin' .

2. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

If you have many gigs of data to move, using an external Hard Drive would be faster.

Your share name is what ever you set it to be. Assuming you are using Xp and want to move data from several folders on the PC, I would share out the entire PC Hard Drive. To do this: Go to My Computer, right click Local Disk C, then left click on Sharing and Security, Click on the message that says "If you understand the risk, but still want to share the root of the drive, click here" twice, then click on Just enable file sharing, then click the checkbox next to "Share this folder on the Network" also check "allow users to change my files" Then click OK.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

First off you need to turn on file sharing on your XP machine.
    I would go to control panel (set to classic view) > network connection > network connection wizard (set up a home or small office network).
    With the wizard choose the network type (something like "connects through residential gateway"), give your computer an easy to remember name, set workgroup name to WORKGROUP (or else you will need to change your Mac to MSHOME) and turn on file and printer sharing.
    Reboot
    Then in my computer right click on the hard drives to share.
    Choose Properties > sharing tab > click blue warning text > check the share this folder on network > click OK

Now with both connected to eachother you should be able to navigate to the XP machine through the finder window through network.

Notes: The connection is easier if you try to connect with a router or switch in between for DHCP. Otherwise you may need to manually configure IP addresses on both machines. In which case set one at 192.168.0.100 and the other at 192.168.0.101, set both subnets at 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to eachothers assigned IP addresses.