Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhewlett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Hello,

I just picked up a Synology DS211 NAS and have been using my roomates' wireless router to connect to my 15" MBP unibody (OSX 10.6.5) and it's been working just fine but I need a faster connection to the NAS for the work that I do. I succesfully got the NAS to connect directly to the MBP through ethernet but I lost my wireless connection to the router. I can't seem to get both to work at the same time and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Cheers,
Dylan

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Ethernet for both

The easiest way will be to connect to the router and disk is using Ethernet for both (i.e.plug your mac and disk into a small fast switch and then run a lead to the router).

It should be possible to have ethernet and airport connections, but will require more fiddling.

dhewlett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
I was hoping to avoid putting a switch between the computer and NAS, I have enough devices cluttering my desk as is. Curiously, the NAS appears under the "Shared" heading on the left side of a finder window when the airport is active and I'm getting internet but it won't let me connect to it, it just tempts me. Apparently "Apple Talk" would let this happen but it's been removed from the OS in 10.6.

Last edited:

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
Set up wireless/Airport in the normal way - configure using DHCP. Note the IP subnet it is using (probably 192.168.0.x).
Configure ethernet manually on the Mac, and give it an IP address in a different subnet, like 192.168.3.x. Give the NAS a manual ethernet IP address in the same subnet. Example - computer ethernet 192.168.3.4 and NAS 192.168.3.5.

dhewlett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Beautiful! That worked like a charm. Thank you very much for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.