Direct impact but no apparent damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajm222, Sep 28, 2015.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2012
    I dropped a fairly heavy plastic lettuce knife on top of my new 6S+ yesterday from about 2 feet. Appeared to directly hit the middle of the screen with the end of the handle. No apparent damage. Just wondering if there's a chance of any damage that I'm not seeing. Is this Gorilla Glass basically created in such a way that unless there's a shatter or scratch, it's fine? I imagine the phone is built so that things like this shouldn't be a problem, including internals. It still seems to work perfectly fine. I have a Best Skins Ever screen shield on it, and I think it was resting on a stack of papers which may have provided some additional give. And with the 3D Touch, maybe it's been reinforced a bit to withstand more pressure to the front. I'm wondering how they test front impact for these iPhones.
  2. dmx macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2008
    Yes, if there's no visible damage and everything looks fine, there's no damage.

Phones are designed to survive drops and light impacts to a certain extent.
  3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

Nov 23, 2011
    If it's not cracked and there's no LCD bleeding or issues with things swiping around randomly, it'll be fine.
  4. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2012
    great, thanks for the responses. i started getting OCD about it and wondering about microscopic damage to the internal parts, and about micro-fractures and stress in the glass, and started reading about the attomic lattice of gorilla glass versus standard soda lime, and on and on and on :) will be nice in a few weeks when i'm past this need-to-keep-new-phone-in-absolutely-perfect-shape-for-as-long-as-possible stage.
  5. jetlagged macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2012
    Why not try to return it, wait a few weeks or go to different iPhone seller and buy a new one.

That's what I would do
  6. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2012
    It's working great and doesn't seem to have any of the issues some others are reporting. I think I got a good one and wouldn't want to take the chance on getting a dud and then going through a cycle of more returns. And I already activated my old 6 on my wife's line and need to process a trade-in through Verizon for her old 5 in order to get the full $200 before the 15th of October. And it was my fault for dropping the knife on the phone :) I think it's ok. I dropped my 6 about a billion times. That thing even took a couple of tumbles all the way down our stairs. Still works great. The 6 seems to have some slight screen click, but that may have always been there. I'm guessing the new phone probably withstood the bang from the knife ok.
  7. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2012
    After watching this video and seeing the bend test around the 6 minute mark, i probably shouldn't be overly concerned. Strange that GG3 and GG4 would be so different.