Direct Print from iPad app

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by reckless2k2, Nov 18, 2010.

1. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised that Apple doesn't release a printing app that has at least generic drivers or a large spectrum to cover most printers for a fee. If I could direct print from the iPad, I'd pay at least $10 for that app without having to have some type of server run on another local machine.

I was just curious of what what other users would think.

I'm sending this suggestion to the iOS suggestion email box. Haha.

2. Sky Blue, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I would pay $10 as well although reluctantly because printing capability should be standard on an $800 device. Heck I would even buy a Dock to USB connector to be able to print.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

The problem is the sheer amount of drivers needed would probably be at least 500mb, perhaps even more. On a 16gb device, that's a substantial premium to pay.

5. reckless2k2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the iPhone, I think some of the GPS apps take up a chunk of space but the idea is that it's your own discretion if you want to install it rather than coming stock in a firmware update.

6. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I have a direct print App

The App store has an App called "ePrint free" that prints to my HP printer and and the printer is 5 or 6 years old. If the free version works with your printer you call buy the full version which adds more features. It was extremely easy to set up and was able to connect wirelessly over my WiFi network without having to share thru my computer. It will even turn the printer on if it is turned off. The documentation at the App store lists the printers that it will work with and it costs nothing to try before you buy. The full version costs $2.99. The free version was written for the iPhone with the small display but the full version is iPad.