Direct Tv and apple airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ben123456, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ben123456 macrumors regular

So today Direct tv came to set up tv at our house. They said they could not connect to internet with apple routers because they can't get through the firewall. I'm pretty tech savy and usually know my stuff but I've never heard of that. Can anyone explain this? Or a solution?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

I am pretty sure that is nonsense. If there was any firewall issue, you can create an exclusion just like any other router. Most likely he just doesn’t know anything about how to configure Airports - and that assumes any configurations would be necessary - something I highly doubt. It should just be plug and play

3. ben123456 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought also. But he called support while here and they said "we can't support airports"

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Unless you heard the exact support call with a cited document by Direct TV where they can cite something I will call BS. The Airport express and extreme work much like any other router in their design - they don’t have any special firewalls that a router from a different manufacture would have and even if they did, such a firewall can be modified.

However the Direct TV box is probably just doing normal IP traffic over port 80 or SSL - both of which the Airport device is going to handle just fine. Pretty much all the cable boxes I have seen either just plug in to the router like any other computing device would via wired or wireless. If your computer can openly surf the internet normally, the box should be able to operate the same. Airport doesn’t do anything unique that would block normal IP traffic unless you deliberately implement rules otherwise.

Nothing that this tech says makes any sense to suggest that it is true.

Now their techs might not know how to configure the Airport, but that is something totally different. If it is an ethernet based connection to the router, it should work.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that's BS. I have DirecTV and my DTV receiver communicates with the Internet with my Apple Time Capsule at its default settings. I made absolutely no special changes to the router to get it to work.

Do you have the new HR44 DTV receiver? How are you trying to connect. wired or wireless? What specific problem is there?

I know some users are having trouble with wifi on the HR44, but it has nothing to do with Apple routers. See this. You can setup DHCP reservations on an Apple router if this is your issue.