directed to cnn/mobile all of a sudden

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joe19812, Apr 9, 2008.

1. joe19812 macrumors newbie

I've been accessing cnn's standard website regulary but all of a sudden I now keep getting redirected to the cnn/mobile version. Anyone else experience this? How do I reconfigure to only get the standard cnn website?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You would have to find out how to get back to the regular CNN site since it is their site that is detecting that you are using a phone and sending you to the mobile version. The iPhone doesn't control what version you see.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I sent an email to CNN about the problem.

Expect it to be fixed in about 8-9 months.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

That's weird. But it's not happening to me.....

Attached Files:

5. B.A. macrumors regular

I have been having this issue with a blog I usually read. Sometimes I get the mobile version, sometimes I do not. I have found when I am on EDGE, I get the mobile version most of the time, and on Wi-Fi, I get the full version. Not sure if you are accessing it using different connections.

Initially, I was getting the full version of the site even on EDGE. What worked for me to fix this was emptying the cache/clearing history and then restarting the iPhone. YMMV.

6. meagain macrumors 68030

Yep, this sucks. I pulled it up in my bookmarks and got the mobile. I typed in www.cnn.com and get the mobile. I'm on wifi. I guess I won't use CNN anymore.

Any suggestions on a basic news site that doesn't ruin their pages for iPhoners?

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

All these sites need to do to make them iPhone friendly is to add one simple line of code that excludes iPhones from being sent to the mobile version of their sites. Very simple to do.

8. D3lta macrumors 6502a

This also happened to me today. I was out, and decided to check up on the news and I was re-directed to http://m.cnn.com

I'm assuming the 'm' stands for mobile...

Found that to be strange...

Some sites offer to be re-directed to non-mobile versions, all sites need to do that if they plan on going mobile...

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Taking CNN off my list of iPhone friendly sites! :(

10. Surely Guest

Surely

I realized that my above post is not CNN.com, it is actually edition.CNN.com

But, here is the answer to your CNN.com problem:

Use: robots.CNN.com

It's like a back door to their site.

Enjoy :cool:

11. himansk macrumors regular

same happens to mta.info website, hate to lookup the timetable on the mobile website...

12. meagain macrumors 68030

Their response to my email.

Greetings,

We apologize for any inconvenience you are having with our web site at this time. We are working on a fix so that you may have an option for the mobile site or the regular. As of now, there is not a date available to the public as to when this will be fixed. We are however, working on it. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

CNN.com Tech Support

----------------------------------
    Summary: Email Submission

13. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Yep, just started having this problem the other day. Very annoying, as I check the site 10 times a day, at least.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

RSS feeds ftw.

15. camarobh macrumors 6502

I stopped using MSNBC.COM for the same reason. At the very least I want to be able to choose either the mobile or "normal" site.

16. paulold macrumors 6502

I too have been seeing the mobile version of CNN just recently. For me it coincided with my adding CNN to my Home Screen, so I assumed it had something to do with that. I just tried to access www.cnn.com via Safari but it automatically switches over to m.cnn.com when I do so. Interesting. The mobile version is okay, but it has less stories on it. I would prefer to choose between the regular version and the mobile version. I didn't really mind zooming in and out and repositioning on the regular version. That's part of the thrill of the touch interface. Double-clicking on a column to get it to fit well on-screen is a fun feature. I was quite comfortable using the site that way. I wonder if it's something set in a cookie. Had we all accidentally hit the mobile access ad?

17. theblackmamba macrumors newbie

Full CNN Site

Hi, i've never posted here before but I was having the same problem. If you go to cnn.com and it redirects you, scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM. You will see the tiniest link that says "Full Site".

Click it and voila!

Hope this helps.
    :)

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Solution

For all of you disliking the "m" version of news and tech websites, then try my solution of using a RSS reader.

I have found a great reader m.newsgator.com this is very easy to set up and use on the iPhone and works pretty good on edge. It loads pretty fast and lets you go straight to those news stories that interest you.

You build your account on a normal Mac or PC, Select CNN, Fox, or favorite news site and select the RSS link. When you open on your iPhone you get a list of the most recent news articles. Find one you want to read up on and it takes you to the normal news link and story...no mobile version.

I now use this for all of my news and tech sites (to include this one) and have removed all of those web apps from my iPhone.

I find I am reading the news more and more everyday as it repopulates everytime you log on with updates.

Hope this helps some of you go back to the normal web sites. Good Luck

19. Surely Guest

Surely

Ummm........ if anyone would bother to look at my above post, I clearly gave the solution to this problem.

Enter in: robots.CNN.com

That's it. Problem solved. It is the same thing as the "normal" www.cnn.com site.

Is my above post invisible?

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

*grin* Just a note:

That's backwards. You see, they had to _add_ code to make iPhones go to the mobile version in the first place. So they'd need to remove it.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That would be one line of code so that *iPhones* only are directed to the full site, regular phones would still get directed to the mobile site.

22. robhedin macrumors regular

actually, it's remove code-- since the iphone already worked, they had to *add* a test to check for iphone / mobile safari to send it to the mobile site. Removing that (added) check would revert to the previous behaviour of treating the iphone like a "full featured" browser.

(basically, they're probably checking against the user-agent field of the http request).

rob.