Directed to web address on start-up / re-boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lozza, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Lozza macrumors newbie

Hi folks, hope you can help me out... Ugraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard yesterday using the Mac Box Set package. Very nice too, seems like a nice upgrade. Haven't got round to loading iWork yet but that's next...

The only issue I've come across since the upgrade is the desire for my Mac to connect to the internet after shutdown/restart and go to this text on the internet

file:///Applications/Photo%20Booth.app/Contents/Resources/PhotoBooth.help/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/sty/task.css

Now I have no idea what this is, other than it appears to refer to Photo Booth. I have to close the page/quit Safari to get rid. Does it every time I switch on/re-boot.

Any ideas as to how I can stop this as it's drivin me nuts now! :confused:

Cheers, Lozza

2. Lozza thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure how this has worked out - but I've located the .css file that keeps displaying on start up (even without being connected to the internet, as I later found out), hidden in the help files of Photo Booth -

And deleted it. (Well, removed it and stored it on a pen drive just in case!)

Page no longer displays on start up and Photo Booth itself seems to works just as well as it always did... Go figure?

If someone out there can shed any light on all of this I'd love to hear about it!

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The "address" you quoted is not an internet address but the location of said file in the Photo Booth application.

What do you mean you get directed there?

How does it manifest? In Safari or another browser or even another way you haven't described?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like Safari's home page is messed up. This is really easy to fix, and doesn't require deleting the file it points to. Navigate to a page you want as your new home page, go into Safari's preferences, to General, and click the Set as Current Page button. As for Safari starting at login, when you don't want it to - this is also easily fixed. In Snow Leopard, just click and hold the dock icon, choose Options, then uncheck Open at Login.

5. Lozza thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if I didn't describe it too well, the 'text script', the task file as I believe it is, was opening up in its own window upon startup. Safari was also starting at the same time (something which never happens automatically), and I was believing it to be a web page being displayed.

It is, like you say, a file within Photo Booth that wants to display itself each time the machine boots up. My Safari home page is all ok, as per normal, and now I have removed the said file, all is well again. Safari opens when I want it to, to the correct home page, and Photo Booth seems to work ok too. On start up this file I've described now no longer opens up.(Obviously).

Really strange. If you navigate through your Photo Booth folder to that file you can read it. But why it thinks it necessary to open up everytime I've no idea! Thanks for your replies guys!