Directing .mac email to multiple computers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonBean, Jan 1, 2008.

1. JonBean macrumors newbie

I've been told that Eudora and other programs allow users to filter email from a single account. I've searched the forums and Mail help but I can't find any way to filter my email to different computers.

Specifically, I have a MacBook and an iMac. I have created two email addresses on .Mac, one for me and one for the wife. She uses the MacBook and I use the iMac. If I check the email then all of it dumps into the Mail program. The wife then opens her MacBook and there isn't any mail for her.

What is the easiest way to solve this problem?

Any suggestions would help, assuming they involve Mac Apps. I really don't want to load up third party software unless it's necessary.

Regards,
    Steve

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, a couple of things I don't understand.

1) If they are two separate accounts, then why not just set up one on each computer. (Or did you just set up 2 aliases from the same .mac account?)

2) .mac mail is IMAP, so it should maintain the same mail on all computers.

3. JonBean thread starter macrumors newbie

(did you just set up 2 aliases from the same .mac account?)

I think I'm beginning to grasp the IMAP concept but right now I just have two aliases and one account.

I'm not trying to hide anything from my wife, but I would like to keep all my tech stuff on the imac without having it off loaded on to her MacBook.

Thanks for responding. If you can point me in the right direction I might be able to figure it out by trial and error.

Regards

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, so you've confirmed that it's a single account with two aliases, that is, there are two addresses which both receive mail into the same account.

Now, with IMAP email (unlike POP email) you don't download mail off the server, it stays on the server and syncs with all machines that access the server.

So, you shouldn't be in a situation where each of your two machines is getting different mail, you should be getting exactly the same mail on both machines. However, once you have read a message, it'll be marked as read on all machines. Likewise, any moving or deleting of messages with by synced across all machines.

Now, the ideal situation would be for you each to have your own email account. I believe you can add an extra email account to .mac for $10.

If you don't want to do that, and want to maintain a single account with 2 aliases, then what I would suggest is to set up Rules in Mail, so that messages get directed to different folders depending on which alias they are sent to.

5. JonBean thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'll mess with the rules first. If that doesn't get the job done we'll go the separate account route.

Thanks for your help
    Happy New Year

Now, the ideal situation would be for you each to have your own email account. I believe you can add an extra email account to .mac for $10.

If you don't want to do that, and want to maintain a single account with 2 aliases, then what I would suggest is to set up Rules in Mail, so that messages get directed to different folders depending on which alias they are sent to.[/QUOTE]