Direction of OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sonictim, Jun 27, 2009.

1. sonictim macrumors newbie

Back when i got my first mac, Tiger had just came out. although it was buggy, it was still fast and beautiful. The UI just felt "mac" the aqua blue background, bright metal windows, the translucent white dock, and the solid white menu bar felt good i guess. when i upgraded to leopard i was THRILLED. i thought it looked stunning, at first that is. i really find myself disliking it these days it's so much less snappier (and i'm on a new MacBook unibody), the darker look (transparent menubar/dark sidedock/darker metal windows) seems like some bad mac theme for windows or something. I feel like the aqua/mac look & feel has gone away and os x is moving into a direction that i don't like, maybe i'm just ranting for no reason--regardless please tell me if you have similar feelings.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I don't feel the same. My menu bar isn't transparent. I believe I changed that via Terminal. Snappiness seems alright as well. And, in a couple months, we'll be able to use Snow Leopard, which is suppose to be much snappier.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like you're just tired/used to the look of the UI and not the usage of the OS. To be sure leopard is more bloated then its predecessor but given the better performing hardware you really shouldn't feel its not as snappy.

I'm guessing you'll love SL when it comes out and then grow tired of it as well.

4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I miss the brighter, more full Aqua buttons. They've been toning it down ever since 10.0. Although I've noticed some differences between SL and Leopard, SL looks like it's reverted to a slightly brighter Aqua style. But still not bright enough.

5. Biolizard macrumors 6502

On the contrary, I like the darker feel. Personally I can't stand traditional Aqua, but that's just IMO. I like the way OS X is going and wish they'd hurry up and get the job done. Sucks if you're not keen on the new look though I accept.

6. sonictim thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i agree with you about them getting the job done, right now the UI seems like it's in the middle of transitioning to the successor of the older aqua.

Do you mean i'll get tired of tiger, or snow leopard?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

In 10.5.2+ you can change it to solid by going to the Desktop preference pane and unchecking the box.

Maybe to you. I think Leopard/SL look just fine, and I don't notice any performance gains using Leopard over Tiger.

Attached Files:

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What I had done was a little different.

9. Bullshark macrumors member

I love the look and feel of Leopard.. Although I can't say must for comparisons, this is the first Mac that I've owned.. I can say its better than Windows Vista/XP/98/95/3.1 and DOS, thats for sure.. haha..

I'm psyched about Snow Leopard. I'm def used to Leopard now, looking forward to some of the refinement thats supposed to be coming with SL..And that extra hard drive space will be nice also :):apple:

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you're computer is running slow, try out MainMenu.

My PM is running Tiger and there are a lot of features I miss. I really would like Screen Sharing built into the Finder in Tiger and the new Dock from Leopard. IMO, Tiger looks ancient. And unrefined with the stripes in the menu item highlight and unrounded menus.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I really wish Leopard were as snappy as Tiger. Leopard takes a while to boot (it's no where near as fast on start up as Windows 7). Hopefully Snow Leopard will be much faster, but given its spec requirements I'm sure it'll be slow, bloated, and have a lot of useless eye candy.

12. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

You can change it in the Desktop Preferences

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah I agree. I wish Apple would take away useless eye-candy (reflective Dock) because I know stuff like that unnecessarily slows down the CPU.

I've used the 3-D Dock on my Mac for 1 year straight and I switched back to the 2-D one (via Terminal) and I can literally see how much faster it is.

Magnification isn't choppy and the minimization and stacks operates noticeable faster.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Snow Leopard is legacy cleanup, it is nice that Apple has done this a few times and also rewrote toolboxes to take advantage of new OS features.

Now we are back on the way to a legacy kludge again after SL.

Since Apple is pushing soo hard to update open software standards, no telling where they are heading.

15. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I do prefer Tiger on my iBook 1GHz just because it feels snappier. However on my 2GHz MacBook Leopard is just fine.

16. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I miss the pinstripes, transparency, and bright colors of 10.1

but if they are going to this darker theme, I wish they would just do it 100% already, kill the aqua scroll bars, and unify the UI.

sigh:(

17. sonictim thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly how i feel =(

18. Stachelsk macrumors regular

Yes, OS X (Leopard, anyways) is horribly bloated... so unbloat it yourself.

I trimmed down my Leopard, MS Office '08, Apple OS Dev Tools, VMware Fusion, uTorrent, CoolBook, etc etc down to 5.5GB, and all I lost was the support for anything to do with PPCs (I don't use them anyways) and multilingual support (I only speak English)...