Directions not available (Apple Maps)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by nigameash, Jul 30, 2012.

1. nigameash macrumors 6502

I'm using ios 6 beta 3 and I can't find directions between locations on my 4S. I always get the message "Directions could not be found between these locations."

I am well aware that this is a beta but I haven't seen any posts regarding this problem.

It would be helpful to compile a list of countries where Apple maps is currently unable to provide directions.

I'm located in India.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's possible turn-by-turn isn't available in your area. Here's a footnote from http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/

3. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

I know turn by turn probably isn't enabled by I don't even get "simple directions"

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

There should be a list button at the bottom left that shows the directions when you click it.

Attached Files:

5. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

When I select the 'start' and 'end' destinations, all I get is "Directions could not be found between these locations."

6. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

I have heard that directions are not working in many developing countries. Really hoping Apple can fix this to work everywhere.

7. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

If this doesn't get fixed by the time ios 6 is officially released this fall, it will be a big letdown. Google maps offered directions in all countries across the world.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I expect this to be an issue until Apple has had time to catch up to Google.

9. NitinNike macrumors member

Same here :(

10. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

That's true. I know it took Google 3.5 years to add directions in some countries

11. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

If it takes apple anything longer than the official ios 6 release to add directions to developing countries, it will be disappointing. If that is the case, then apple will be taking the maps app backwards, not forwards.

12. sh0vel macrumors member

sh0vel

Not true where I am.

13. StefSSU macrumors regular

This is due to the mapping data itself, not apples application. If you pay attention and look closely to the intersections and roundabouts etc. many of them won't 'join' or match correctly. Because of this, the application is unable to work out directions between certain points. To check if this is the case, try getting directions between two simple locations, on the same street. It should work. I'm in Malawi, and notice this same issue.

This is simply down to the quality of the mapping data itself, even google maps had (and still has) issues with directions in Malawi, until about a year ago they did not work at all. The solution then is to improve the data. Unfortunately, as apple gets this data from multiple sources the quality varies significantly. With google maps, one could submit mapping data and corrections, but with the new maps there is no such capability that I am aware of (open maps perhaps?).

It's a difficult thing to solve, but fundamentally it comes down to apple improving their sources for mapping data. For developing countries this could take a long time unfortunately. Hopefully with more partnerships like tomtom this should improve, garmin have excellent maps for Malawi for example. At the moment I suppose all that can be done is to make apple aware of the lacklustre data where applicable. Maybe try contributing to openmaps or the like.

14. Picka macrumors member

Where are you?

15. Brazuca macrumors regular

Maybe try reporting/fixing the errors yourself:

http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/
    http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php

I have no idea if they fix stuff, though. But these are the maps behind Apple's maps.

16. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't download beta 4 for another 24 hours till my data plan resets. Could someone from India or another developing country test out the directions on Apple Maps and let me know if directions work now?

17. londonciti macrumors newbie

Second that

I second your experience. I have just moved back to India. I have downloaded the iOS6 Beta 4. I can find the individual locations on the map very well. The map is detailed and I could see even some finer details when compared to Google maps. But no matter what location I select for directions, it errors out saying "directions could not be found between these locations". I would have loved even the simple directions if not the turn by turn directions. If I dont get a fix for it soon, I am moving back to iOS 5.1.1

18. NitinNike macrumors member

What the hell it's not even fixed on beta 4.
    But no doubt about it that it will work in final release. Everything is perfect excluding the maps.

19. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

I am going to be pissed if directions aren't fixed by the time iOS 6 officially launches. On the first beta, directions worked for me once, I don't know how but it never worked after that one time. Perhaps the maps app got the directions data from the google servers. If google releases its own maps app by the time iOS 6 launches, I would be more than pleased.