Directions on Apple Watch while in car

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Apr 29, 2015.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

When I am in my car my phone connects via bluetooth so I can use Siri and listen to audio over my car speakers.

Here's what I'm experiencing. When I initiate directions via the Apple Watch I do not get verbal directions. If I wake and unlock my phone, then the driving directions are given verbally over my car speakers for the remainder of the trip.

I'm sure this is operating as designed. But I think if the phone knows an external audio source is connected, I would prefer if it would default to the verbal directions.

Is this the experience you are having? What is your opinion of this functionality?

2. ttexxan macrumors regular

3. cjrzasa macrumors member

I haven't had that yet but I had a different issue with navigation. I have my phone connected to my car for phone calls and the watch was giving me feedback for directions. Going to my destination an hour and a half away, it actually worked fine. Got verbal directions from the phone and feedback from the watch. Going home however about halfway through the trip the watch disconnected from my phone. This happened twice over the next 45 minutes. The only reason why I knew was because my watch vibrated and said my phone was unavailable to update maps. It could be because my phone was also connected to my car but not sure. I've only had it a day so I'll have to try it out more.

I'd be interested in hearing if other people are having your issue (or mine)

4. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

yeah I'm actually really disappointed that you don't get verbal directions from the watch. It makes no sense to give route guidance on a device that has a speaker, but make the driver look at the device to read the directions. Pretty sure thats actually illegal in this state.

5. ttexxan macrumors regular

I will try on way home in another car to see what happens

6. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

They intend for you to let the tactic engine guide you; not for you to look at the screen.

7. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately thats only realistic when you already have an idea where you're going. I travel for work all over the country and turn by turn directions are more complex than tapping your wrist. I just don't understand the reasoning behind having no verbal cues. Frankly, system wide, I don't like that Siri interactions have no audible responses. With such a small screen, you would think there would be less emphasis on reading and more voice interaction.

8. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I noticed this too, which isn't a big deal for me since I usually mute the voice. No doubt this needs to be configurable.

9. Ctguy macrumors member

I tried it few days ago and disappointed too. There is no way u can use it while driving. May be it's intended for walking.