Directly from the source...'The iPhone's battery sucks"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hecklerdanny, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I called Apple this morning to ask them about the battery in my iPhone that I purchased a few months ago. After waiting for a while, a guy answered, who sounded tired...This was our coversation...

Me: "Hi, I think I'm having some problems with my iPhone's battery...After about a half day use, no talking, no video, only texting a few times and checking my email once or twice, the battery level is at about half way, and the life on it seems to be getting worse and worse."

Apple Employee via phone: "...The iPhone's battery sucks. You can only talk for about 8 hours on it, and you usually don't even get that much...It just sucks."

Me: "....Oh....Okay.....Bye."

And that's exactly what the guy said...I even wrote it down in little quotation marks, because I always sit with a pen in hand in case they give me case #'s or anything to write down...And that's what he said.

I'm obviously not going to leave it at this with my iPhone, but after this response I of course wasn't confident that I would get any form of reasonable tech support for my issue...

But there you have it, directly from Apple..."The iPhone battery sucks."

Why didn't they put that on the main page when the iPhone was introduced at Macworld?

2. cjmal macrumors 6502

You heard the opinion of an Apple retail store employee. When I had it, the battery lasted a pretty good amount of time. Make an appointment at the genius bar and try to have it exchanged.

3. Hecklerdanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Well it wasn't a retail store employee, I called the iPhone technical support line that I got off of Apple.com and that's who answered.

I now intend on taking it to my local (2 hour drive) Apple Store, just thought you guys would get a kick out of this.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

My battery lasts about two days with heavy internet use (EDGE and Wifi) of about 2 hours, music playing for about that, texting and phoning in with that too.

I have BT off, wifi off when not in range and screen dimmed.

It could be better but it's adequate for me.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No it doesn't, thats the opinion of an employee and i dunno how 8 hrs of talk time sucks when other phones barely manage half that

This was my last usage stats:

4hrs talk
    1hr BBC iPlayer (Streaming Video with full bright screen)
    29 mins iPod commute with 85% volume and variable EQs

3 days 16 hrs standby

Wi-Fi always on with 'ask before joining' turned off

30% brightness with auto-brightness turned on

Doesnt seem sucky to me considering the 1 hr full brightness video streaming over wi-fi thats always on.....and that was before i did a restore

Your battery is probably just faulty or you need to do a simple restore especially if you've jailbroken your phone (some app/script maybe running in the background)

Also there's a theory that updating from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 will cause a decrease in batt life. However restoring from scratch seems to improve things a lot as discussed in this thread

6. himansk macrumors regular

I have automatic email check setup to be 30min, and I do fair amount of internet (wifi mostly) and watch ripped tv shows everyday along with listening to music 4-5 hours a day, and I never need to plug it in every night. Must be your battery that is having problems.

7. Hecklerdanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Thanks for the link and the info. I have not Jailbroken/anything to my iPhone, and I have noticed it's gotten worse after 1.1.4. I have done a full restore over the weekend, hopefully it will help.

8. cjmal macrumors 6502

Ohhh, I thought you had called an Apple Store.

9. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

10. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

8 hours talk time is real good - but its expected roughly around that on a 2g phone - the most that a 3g phone has in my shop is around 4 hours talk time