Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I'm running Server 3.1.2 on OS 10.9.5. I set up a simple website that has a number of folders (each with its index and files). I am getting the "Directory index forbidden by Option directive" error when trying to access some folders but not others. It seems like different computers get different results. The permissions on this simple site are set to allow everyone to read, although at one time I defined a group to control read access (one shared username and password).

I don't see any differences in file permission between those that work fine and those those that get the error and I don't think I've made any other changes. I never toyed with custom permissions. Its not clear to me what is the simplest way to fix this short of editing apache files or starting over.

I have tried restarting the server app as well as restarting the machine.

What am I missing here?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
NH
So I copied my site file folder, deleted and reconfigured the website in the server app and pointed it to the new folder and things worked just fine until someone on an iPad iOS8 tried to asses the site. He gets the forbidden by option directive and now anyone else gets the error when trying to access the site pages they had not previously touched. Works fine for pages they had touched before the iPad got involved.

I must be doing something simple wrong here.....

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
NH
It looks like the apache directory option configuration was changed perhaps by the update and that perhaps caching caused most of my confusion. Seems to be back to normal after fixing a few things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.