DirecTV App or other Providers?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by UhFive, Oct 31, 2015.

1. UhFive macrumors regular

UhFive

I haven't heard anything from any providers working on an app...anyone got info on this?
    I have a TV with no cable box cause I can't see paying DTV monthly for hardly any use and there is no coax ran on the wall where it's mounted, but sometimes I find myself stuck with only that one TV available (wife and kid using others). I have an old ATV2 hooked up now that I use for Netflix and mirroring from my phone. A DTV app would be easier and not require me to run COAX anywhere else in the house.

2. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

I myself am hoping for dish network to support it.

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I would like to see TiVo create an Apple TV app even if it's as limited as the current iOS app. It could easily replace my TiVo Minis. Better yet, it would mean a single interface for all TV going through the Apple TV. Live streaming without record would be great.

I'd also take Xfinity X1 style app if it had live streaming.

5. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

They would only have to give 30% of customer brought thru that channel. This would most likely be marketed for customer that already have the service and apple would get 0.

6. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I get DirecTV free with my rent. I don't have the box hooked up because their hardware software sucks... I would gladly use an Apple TV app though

7. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Not sure which hardware or software you had but the Genie is very good box along with the software. Plus plenty of storage space on the dvr. Tivo is another great option with DTV. There are apps for iOS and Android devices.
    There is limited streaming of local channels so far.

As individual content apps become available you can stream them as a DTV sub such as watchESPN, NBCSN, FS1.

8. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I did not have the genie... But the software is the same... The way they deal with on demand content is unintuitive.

I don't really care about storage space... Recording live shows to a hard disk is the past... Streaming is the future.

TV is going to exist on top of the Internet... DirecTV should probably get with the program... Because no one is going to care about a dish in 10 years... They should start laying a foundation for an ip cable service like dish network is... Sling tv is not great in its initial form... But that's where things are going... So they are putting themself in a very good position... DTV is going to get to a point where they are struggling to keep up.

9. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Not sure what you mean by on demand content being unintuitive? The networks themselves provide the content. DTV, as well as all other TV providers, show what is provided. Its no different than what you see on the network Apps.

One of the reasons AT&T bought Directv was for the purpose of bringing TV to more devices, including the internet. Look at the DTV app for iOS or Android and see all the streaming choices. So far here there is only local channel available, which is NBC, but I’m sure more will follow.

Directv will not struggle to keep up. Neither will the other TV providers.

10. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

10 years to reach rural America? Not happening. They cant even get last mile low speed DSL service to ridiculously large swaths of people.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Highly doubt DTV would offer an ATV app b/c that would destroy the need to pay them their ransom money for their boxes or Genie. At least DTV is kind enough to allow customers to stream from the iOS DTV app to ATV. Not ideal, but better than paying for another box for a TV you rarely use.

12. UhFive thread starter macrumors regular

UhFive

That's what I was thinking, but I am really hoping for an app...or maybe a jailbreak and someone can port the iPad app over or something.

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

They'd still get the fee. They'd require you to register it as an RVU unit like they do a Samsung TV.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

We are talking about two different things. Your Samsung TV has a DTV RVU built-in and enables you to receive the entire DTV lineup you payor. That is why you pay the monthly fee. What I'm talking about is the DTV app, i.e., "TV Everywhere," same as available for tablets and phones. That service requires registration but does not incur any extra fees.

15. joshy123 macrumors newbie

Im hoping at&t bring their uverse app to apple they already have one for fire tv

16. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I am hoping for Verizon FIOS Mobile. Others in my area want the TWC App which has been on Roku for a long time.

17. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I believe the streaming cost is now 15%. I am sure that is what HBO and Showtime and others pay. Also, Hulu charges more if you buy via ATV instead of on there site to cover the charge. I was a bit surprised they can do that but maybe the deal that was made.

18. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

It also doesn't include all channels with the app.

Maybe they could offer both options?

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I didn't say it did. But it does include many of the most popular ones.

It's not technically possible for DTV to run over ATV4 assince it doesn't have a DTV decoder chip like the RVU TVs do. And DTV legally can't offer streaming over an app for all channels since the ones not offered yet simply haven't consented. It can only offer what the individual content owners allow.

20. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah, that's not happening. They will get their mirror fee.

21. UhFive thread starter macrumors regular

UhFive

If I could get access Fox Sports Southwest for my Spurs games (Go Spurs Go!) and then whatever is on my DVR I would be good...NBA League pass is too expensive as I am a local and FSSW is already part of my package showing all the games. I record just about everything I want to watch anyway so access to the DVR would be perfect.

22. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

Apple doesn't charge a dime for things purchased outside of its ecosystem. Think about Plex no fees no money to apple. Apple isn't using their servers to stream any of this content it is going back to the content providers site.

23. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I was not disagreeing. Notice the Hulu part. I was focusing on 15 vs 30 percent. Also, not sure related to servers. If you allow in app purchase or out right purchase from the Apple App Store Apple gets a cut. If not then no. This is the same on iOS.

24. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

I do agree with most not a lot of reason for the providers to provide apps unless the customers start to complain and leave them. Only the best services are going to get out in front of things. It is a shame how slow cable companies are in this country to help their customers. That is why they are dying a slow death.

25. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Depends on what Genie you are talking about. The HR34 is a slow piece of garbage. The HR44 and 54 are solid. Since Directv doesn't differentiate between the three of them, it's a crapshoot as to which one you get.