Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Equipment: HR20 HD DVR
iMac i7 8gm RAM

So I took an update recently to my HR20 DirecTV HD receiver. However, until last night I havent had it hooked up to my network. I plugged it in last night and voila, a new feature I had previously not heard of popped up... Media Share.

Let me preface this by saying Im currently streaming media to my PS3 with the Java app PS3 Media Server. PS3MS was running on my Mac when I connected my HR20 to the network. So the media renderer that the HR20 detected was in fact PS3MS. I was able to see all the folders I can usually see on the PS3, however none of the movies played. No matter what format they were.

I google Media Share and noticed its recommendation of Windows Media Player 11. So I fired up Parallels and loaded up Windows 7 and attempted to set up my WMP11 library to be shared on my network, no dice. The option for Media Sharing was disabled and I was unable to turn it on for some reason. No errors, it just wouldnt enable. So I tried the same thing in Vista, same results... I can enable file sharing in the network prefs but cant enable media sharing on either Vista or 7.

So my questions are this...
Do I have to bootcamp Windows to get this functionality?
Does anyone know of a Mac application that can provide this? Im thinking about trying MediaLink tonight and see how it goes but I hate paying for things!
Anyone else using this feature with their DTV receivers? I would be interested if any videos work.

Thanks

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Wowzers... A 3yr (almost 4yr) old thread being revived.... :eek:

Anyways... Did you ever get this working either via the Mac or windbloze? I have an HR-24/500...

I'm able to see my movies, but they won't play... I'm using Mountain Lion, not Snow Leopard..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.