Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
Haven't been home to try the Apple TV app yet, but I like what I see on the iPad and iPhone app so far. Except — is there still no way to just go back to the previous channel? You can't bounce back-and-forth between two channels still?!?!

Reactions: johnfrombeyond

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
As I recall, they're missing the ability to rewind live TV.

Is that fixed now?

Or, basically the same thing, can I watch a recording as it's happening (so tell it to record a show that's on from 7-7:30, start watching that recording at 7:10, able to watch the show nearly-live and just skip commercials.)

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
DirecTV Now is awful. It's only value is to gain access to all the standalone channel apps. Their on demand is a joke. 90 minutes to watch a one hour show because there's 20 commercials per break - and you can't fast forward or rewind.

I don't get the onDemand think. Just use a DVR and record the shows you want to watch and skip through the commercials. I hate commrecial, so would never watch onDemand content. If I missed recording it, I would rather buy the episode from Apple, as all onDemand content have commercials.

bananataffy

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Speaking of the Apple TV 4K app....is there any way to have the DirectvNow app stream in SDR picture without turning off HDR completely in the Apple TV settings? HBO Go is able to do that, for instance. Menu's are in HDR, but when I stream something in HBO Go, it automatically switches to SDR. With DirectvNow, it remains in HDR and the colors & dynamic range are completely inaccurate. This is another issue that DTVNow needs to rectify...

johnfrombeyond

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
I don't get the onDemand think. Just use a DVR and record the shows you want to watch and skip through the commercials. I hate commrecial, so would never watch onDemand content. If I missed recording it, I would rather buy the episode from Apple, as all onDemand content have commercials.

A regular DVR can't record streaming TV from the internet, that's the problem.

On Demand shows always have commercials inserted that can't be skipped (except some channels like HBO thank goodness), so it's a major step backward. Cloud DVR is hit-or-miss for being able to fast forward through commercials, or even being able to record at all. Some channels have apps that you can use, like HBO and ESPN, but other channels will not authenticate for DirectTV Now, like TNT and CBS, so you can only watch those shows via the DirecTV Now app.

And of course, every app has a slightly different user interface with a slightly different set of features and a slightly different set of bugs to go with it... Streaming TV is like the wild, wild west.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Why would you care when you could use DTVN to authenticate access to HBO Now and stream those shows on demand?

The big use case I can think of is to record live events, which don't stream on demand for a day or two for the shows, and possibly never become available on-demand in the case of some sporting events.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I am struggling to see th point (massive) local storage yes. But if you have to download the ‘saved’ or ‘recorded’ file anyway, why not just set it up from the start as a streaming service?
Maybe all it really needs is a licence variation on newish shows that the subscriber can only stream on demand for twenty days (or seven). Then it can be streamed anytime once the series is is complete, or whatever. Temporary recording remotely seems pointless.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Ugh. DirecTV NOW app is so bad it makes me upset just thinking about it. Both the regular app and the beta were nothing but buggy trash for us. We have 150mbps internet and it was blurry most of the time - that is, if it even worked!

We don't watch news or sports, so we switched to philo.com for streaming recently. It's literally $17.32 with tax for us. We bough a few Roku sticks specifically for philo, which includes unlimited recording on their DVR ****AND**** allows you to fast forward through commercials on anything you record. Anything. No more "this program doesn't allow..." b.s.

DirecTV managed to give me an Apple TV 4K and still makes my skin crawl thinking about them. Your service has to be pretty awful to manage that!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This new features on DirecTV reminds me of Hulu Live... Funny how BOTH of them are in Beta stage.

If you always keep stuff in Beta, gives you an advantage of constantly improving and not switching back and fourth.. as there is no official release.

rtrueman

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
I've never had a problem with the service until today (I signed up the day they started). I currently have no access to my DirecTV Now account AND I can't get into my AT&T account! They've managed to screw up both of them. Support is only via chat and I'm ON HOLD in a chat window. Holy smokes... What a freaking nightmare...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Ugh. DirecTV NOW app is so bad it makes me upset just thinking about it. Both the regular app and the beta were nothing but buggy trash for us. We have 150mbps internet and it was blurry most of the time - that is, if it even worked!

Could be a problem with your Internet equip or Internet provider. I only have 100/100 and never had a picture or buffering issue. Agree the ATV app is annoying but no prob w/ PQ on any of my HD TVs.

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2014
The reason it has been unusable for me is that my wife and I will be watching a show, and when it cuts to commercials, there will be audio for two different commercials playing. The audio is also unbalanced from the shows to commercials. going back to the menu loses your spot in the show you were watching.. the list goes on and on.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
The reason it has been unusable for me is that my wife and I will be watching a show, and when it cuts to commercials, there will be audio for two different commercials playing. The audio is also unbalanced from the shows to commercials. going back to the menu loses your spot in the show you were watching.. the list goes on and on.

This is an Apple TV problem that is not limited to DirecTV Now. This same thing happens on the network TV apps, such as AMC or Bravo. Other streaming devices do not have this issue.

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2014
This is an Apple TV problem that is not limited to DirecTV Now. This same thing happens on the network TV apps, such as AMC or Bravo. Other streaming devices do not have this issue.
So it's the tvOS software??

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
As I recall, they're missing the ability to rewind live TV.

Is that fixed now?

Or, basically the same thing, can I watch a recording as it's happening (so tell it to record a show that's on from 7-7:30, start watching that recording at 7:10, able to watch the show nearly-live and just skip commercials.)
Not fixed completely. Some channels you can rewind somewhat, but after a few times, it jumps to the very beginning, and you can't fast forward at all. In fact, you can't fast forward anything, which is just LAME.
[doublepost=1526423688][/doublepost]
This new features on DirecTV reminds me of Hulu Live... Funny how BOTH of them are in Beta stage.

If you always keep stuff in Beta, gives you an advantage of constantly improving and not switching back and fourth.. as there is no official release.
Hulu allows you to jump to the beginning of any program in progress, and you can fast forward or rewind at will. DirecTV Now allows you to jump to the beginning of some programs in progress (on some channels), but not all of them and not on all channels. Once you jump to the beginning, you can't fast forward.

MorganB

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
The press release for the new update says you can fast forward and rewind DVR cloud recordings. Is this not what people that have updated to the newest software today are experiencing ?

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Wouldn't you just use their individual app to replay the show/movie?
Actually using DirecTV now app is useless. I would rather prefer individual side that gives me more shows and entrainment. I just used DirecTV logging and password there to link them for free.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
I've been using Sony's Vue and I like it. I cut the cord...

Actually you didn't cut the cord at all, you just moved to a new cable service provider. Cord cutting means NO regular bundled cable service providers with a regular monthly fee. Getting everything a la carte. For example, if you relied on Netflix, Hulu, and iTunes completely... THAT would be considered cutting the cord.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
This is a joke, right? 20 hours?

I have 120 movies on my youtube tv dvr and god knows how many TV shows.

That is just the "free" level, which I wasn't expecting to be available. What with a 30 day limitation for the free level, 20 hours isn't too bad. What hurts is if you have the DVR scheduled to record all episodes of a series, then there is some bing viewing of some episode, where you get 20 hours or more just popup, pushing off other shows.

With the summer viewing season coming up, it should be adequate for me. I can always bump it up this fall.

One benefit of DTVNow is it should be easier to just adjust your packages at any time without calling up some CSR at the cable company.

After dithering several months, I finally cancelled my Cable TV (and telephone) about 3 weeks ago. Taking time off work so they could update my modem for the new speed level I signed up for.

Now, I'm just waiting for locals to become available. The local CBS station is somewhat marginal. Works at times, other times it cuts out, messing up my recording to the computer. The NBC station is as far, but comes in better. I hope I don't end up signing up for CBS All Access this fall.
[doublepost=1526428148][/doublepost]

On Demand was the only way I could catch up on locals if my OTA DVR didn't catch the show (CBS is flakey for me). Or if you forgot to set a show to record.

A big benefit of a cloud setup like this is it should be able to record the show even if power is lost at your home. Or, if your cable goes out, you miss recordings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.