Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DirecTV Now is today officially launching its "True Cloud DVR" for all subscribers of the cord-cutting service, while still retaining that the DVR is in beta at this point. The new DVR feature supports 20 hours of recorded shows and movies on DirecTV Now across devices -- including Apple TV and iPhone/iPad -- at no additional cost. When users record a show on the DVR they will be able to skip through commercials, but DirecTV Now noted that the DVR is "not available for select channels."

Recordings will be deleted after 30 days, and if a user is nearing the 20 hour storage limit the app will notify them. If the limit is then exceeded, then the first program listed will make room for the newest one. The DVR lets users record an entire series or just one episode, and "fast forward and rewind at will."

Screen-Shot-2018-05-15-at-12.47.03-PM.jpg

Notably, DirecTV Now says that it's working on debuting "more capacity options" later in the summer so that users can keep more on their DVR lists for longer periods of time. One of these tiers will be a plan that can to record up to 100 hours and store shows for up to 90 days, for an extra $10 per month.

The company is also revamping the "Watchlist" to become "Bookmarks" so that users can pin shows to easily return to later. In general, it said there will be improved navigation, search options, and more UI overhauls that put a user's favorite programs front and center in the app. The guide itself has been revamped to show more information, and viewers can browse for something new to watch while still viewing their current stream.

Additionally, the service is expanding its on demand content of 25,000 titles with more capacity, so that new episodes on select channels will be available on-demand after they air live. The update also brings the option to add a third stream to an account for $5 extra per month, letting three people stream on one account simultaneously, and improves local channel streaming availability for users traveling. Check out more details about the update below:
Travel with your Locals - granted the local is also available in the market you're traveling to, you can now stream your local channels when you travel.
Less Searching, More Streaming - find favorite shows and movies faster with customizable search.
Entertainment, Uninterrupted - you'll never miss a beat with our new layout, because your stream will be playing in the background, or on a pop-up.
DirecTV Now has apps on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, and for Apple's set-top box the company still has the best price available online for the 32GB Apple TV 4K. Under the offer, you can pre-pay for three months of DirecTV Now at $105 and get the Apple TV 4K at no extra cost. Head over to DirecTV Now for more information on both the Apple TV deal and the new DVR update, which should begin appearing across iOS, tvOS, and Chromecast devices as the day progresses.

Article Link: DirecTV Now Launches Cloud DVR With 20 Hours of Storage at No Extra Monthly Cost

Reactions: WarHeadz

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I haven't seen the update on my iOS or tvOS devices yet, but the web interface is the same as the beta has been, and its a much, much better UI than the original DTVN interface.

Glad to see it gettin gout into full release now.

Reactions: AppleFan78

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Idk why people complain about the app being buggy.. I never had an issue and I'm a day 1 user. That said, the new guide looks better, however the tv logos/names are SMALL... can hardly read some of them... second, getting to the guide is a little more challenging now... they need to add voice commands "Go to CBS".

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Too bad the Apple TV app is just horrible and almost unusable. :(

Have they really not improved the ATV app at all? When the service was originally launched, it was absolutely terrible. After three months, my wife and I went to PS Vue and haven't looked back (the "free" ATV 4 we got for pre-paying was nice though).

Reactions: Little dude

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
i beta tested this. every update, i would file the same exact bug because they never seem to care about my bug reports.

the bug i was reporting? oh it was just that the tv show i scheduled to record NEVER GOT RECORDED.

This would happen after back end updates. The fix for me was to delete the recordings, cancel the series recording, logout, log back in and set the series recording again.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Too bad the Apple TV app is just horrible and almost unusable. :(

Even the Beta DTV Now cloud recording sucks. Some of the things I've reported:
1. Sometimes it starts or ends minutes late or minutes early meaning you miss the beginning or end of the show.
2. Sometimes it just won't record a show, saying it isn't allowed. Or with no message.
3. 20 hours for 30 days? Or extra to do more? Come on, if they want to compete with others (e.g. TiVo), this won't cut it.
4. It has is missing one local station.

I hope they get things working, but this is Alpha level quality, not beta. If they really want to see things that need adding, look at a TiVo or the old ReplayTV.

We discontinued cable about 6 months ago, and this is good enough as it is, but barely.

Edit:
p.s. One good thing is that if you have AT&T for your phone or iPad, then you can stream and it doesn't use your data. That is a very nice benefit for AT&T subscribers.

Last edited:
Reactions: mazimoyo

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I've been beta testing the app for months, and it was awful at first. Very laggy, tons of bugs. It's gotten a ton better. It's still not as fast at the old one, because it has more UI elements that need to load, but it's usable. I assume it'll get better over time.

The one nice thing they changed is when you accidentally swipe left or right on the Apple TV remote, you can swipe right back (you don't have to wait the 4-5 seconds for the channel to load before going back). I wish they would make it so you can disable the swipe gestures for changing channels, but at least that is improved.

I got in on the early bird discount for DTV Now when it first launched, and am locked in for the $60/month package, at roughly $35/month, so I can live with these issues. If that ever changes though, I will probably explore competitors more.

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
I’ve been in the beta for a while now, and while I’ve enjoyed it, there’s two things that are bugging the dickens out of me. One, it has no clue what NEW ONLY means when it records. It keeps grabbing years old episodes and claiming them as new. Two, it blacklists certain channels and shows, an example, try marking The Simpsons or Family Guy for “record new only”. It won’t allow it. Thankfully, it’ll catch up after a week of Hulu exclusivity, but still a pain nonetheless.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
All I can say is I was a day 1 adopter, and am part of the Beta Program.

I get/got:

- A free Apple TV at sign up
- Go Big Package for $35/mo for life (100 plus channels, every single one I want in fact)
- HBO Free for 6 months (Now is $5)
- 100 Hours DVR (they may reduce it to 20 now that it is public which is fine)

It worked well enough for me to drop cable TV and TiVO while the DVR function was in Beta.

I pay just internet and $40/mo to DirecTV now for more channels and quite a monthly savings, and it performs much better than the current TiVO software does.

I was a long time software and hardware beta tester for TiVO. TiVO really went downhill performance and stability wise.

Best DVR ever?? ReplayTV hands down.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Yep, stuck with it for a year plus, regular app and beta app, and my wife finally had enough. Went to Youtube TV and haven't had any issues.

I'd consider YouTube TV, but there are way too many giant holes in their channel lineup. No HGTV would be an instant no-go for my wife. Plus, since we're grandfathered in at the introductory $35/month rate for 100 channels on DIRECTV Now, getting 40-50 fewer channels for $5 more per month with YouTube TV really doesn't make any sense for my family.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
Been a day one user. I’ve stuck with directv now mainly for the value I’m getting. Updated the app today and I’m enjoying the new interface design. Haven’t tested the dvr option so i can’t comment there.

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
I've been using Sony's Vue and I like it. I cut the cord. It's $40 a month for the base package with unlimited DVR, no contract. I'm thinking about getting a universal remote for the Apple TV, though, because that remote is horrific.

Vue also runs on Macs, PCs, iPads, iPhones, Android I think, Sony PS3 and PS4. Not Xbox, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.