Directv Now vs standard service

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nrvna76, May 27, 2018.

1. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

We are considering switching from actual dish directv to just directv now. Had a recent unexpected increase in my bill that puts my Att bill at about pretty close to the unlimited choice cost. Which means we could add Directv Now for about $20/mo (I’m sure there are fees added on). This would save us about $50/mo.

I’ve seen a lot of threads on here about signing up for directv now to get the free Apple TV (which is what I would do, suspend service for 3 months to try directv now and get the free Apple TV)

Has anybody tried it and stuck with it? Seems a lot cancelled after the 3 months.

How are your local channels and sports?

How is the new dvr?

Even if I pay the $320 cancellation fee it is still cheaper as long as I keep it for a while.

Thanks for any experiences you guys have.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Depends on where you live. I'm still waiting for local channels. I have ABC, but nothing else. Other than that, it's great, and the DVR is working nicely.

3. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

4. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I canceled dirctv and went to directv now. Have been with them since the begining and got the free AppleTV.

They finally just updated their software and interface. Added a DVR function to record shows. In the begining the software for Apple was horrible. This update has improved the experience greatly. The price is good and i get HBO for $5 a month. Depending on your area, you might get local channels as well.

Coupled with Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, OTA antenna, and Amazon Prime, im still paying less than i used to.

5. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I would change to DTV Now but sometimes my internet goes out for days..

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Alberto is churning and my DirecTV receiver hates the rain. So I switched over to Now. Fortunately I have no shows on tonight on network channels. It is great when the weather isn't!

7. nrvna76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I’m going to do the trial first, just wasn’t sure if it had gotten better than the mostly horrible reviews I had seen. So difficult to pick the ‘best’ service since they are all ever so slightly different.

8. z06gal macrumors 6502a

DNow has been great for me on an Apple TV 4k. I have all locals except CBS. I had Directv followed by Uverse after my Directv went sky high and then decided to go with DNow. I have no regrets. I haven’t had the buffering/freezing issues some have experienced but I am fortunate to have fiber internet which may help that issue.

9. Huffboys1 macrumors member

Went through free trials of sling, ps vue, and dtv now. Once dtv now added the cloud dvr I was sold. I went with the just right package...It has all of the channels I wanted plus all local channels for $50/month.

10. dgraham78 macrumors newbie

I don’t personally need live tv for anything except news. And I can get by without that. I got Hulu,Boomerang and Amazon Prime. Gives me plenty to watch and I’m only paying $23 a mo plus internet cost.

11. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Google TV seems to be worth the $40 I pay for it. It has all the channels I need, and good resolution. Use it both with ATV and on iOS.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

I cancelled a few months ago after I got my Apple TV, but I signed back up last week after the DVR came out.

To me, the DVR beta is super basic at the moment, but it works.

I only get one local channel (ABC).

Picture quality on most channels is noticeably better than my Cox cable, which is disappointing because Cox in my area is 100% fiber. I expected more from them.

I really like DTVN, and I’ll keep it because the $25 ATT discount makes the $35 package only $10 month (which includes HBO), but until they get the rest of my locals and the DVR gets some more functionality for managing recordings, I’m still sticking with Cox plus our TiVo for our main provider.

13. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I’m grandfathered in for DirectTV Now and I am loving it. Had a couple issues over the last 14 months. But overall, very happy. Especially when I get the bill.

14. nrvna76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If not for the At&T discount this is probably what I would go with. I think that dtvn with an antenna should be sufficient for our needs though. Just can’t rewind live sports over the antenna.

15. dgraham78 macrumors newbie

You’re lucky I had no locals

16. DFWHD macrumors regular

Last December we started looking at cutting the cord after I came to the conclusion that our DirecTV bill was too high. We were paying around $230 per month for the Extra package, HBO, Starz and Showtime with 2 HD DVR receivers and 3 HD Receivers. They had always been good at providing discounts that would cover about 9 months of the year, but after AT&T integrated them, that came to an end. When I called them in January, they said I was not eligible for any discounts. I called back a few days later and mentioned that if I could not lower my bill I would cancel. Their response was to ask when hen I wanted to be disconnected. Great way to treat a 20+ year customer.

After looking at the offerings for streaming, I suspended my DirecTV account for 6 months and ended up with Playstation Vue augmented by a Tivo Roamio for OTA recordings and direct subscription to Starz. The picture quality is great and that gave us 5 streams for the household and all of the channels we care about and still saved $155 per month. I plan on looking at DirecTV Now once they get the bugs worked out of the DVR, but for now the family is very happy with the new setup and the wallet is as well. I have to call them back in a couple of weeks to formally remove the suspension and terminate the service and hope they ask why.

17. canteenboy macrumors newbie

I just signed up with them and here are the things I've noticed. Live TV is limited to 2 channel PCM no Dolby Digital. Some On Demand content will have 5.1 surround sound. No instant replay on live TV. Volume is not uniform on channels. Some channels will be louder than others. Live volume is lower than DVR volume. HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime will allow you to sign in to their apps. Starz app does not recognize the DirecTV Now log in.

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

Yeah, considering you can restart most live shows from the beginning, I was surprised you can't rewind it if you missed the last little bit. Hopefully something being addressed...

19. JackieInCo Suspended

Even though I have a deal on Comcast that gives me all the channels, I still subscribe to DirecTV Now because I like the way that the channels are already formatted correctly so I don't have to change the aspect on my TV on channels like TV Land or other non HD channels.

20. mlpsponzischeme macrumors regular

We signed up for DirecTV Now when it first launched so we got the $60 package for $35 and the free Apple TV. The initial launch was a nightmare, but the upgraded app for Apple TV is much improved. I'm in Minneapolis and all of local channels have been included for a while now (I'm going to guess 6 or more months already). The inclusion of local channels is really awesome. I watched all of the local football games this year. I have yet to have an issue where I can't watch something that's on TV because we have DirecTV Now. I have recently had some issues with the DVR since it is still labelled as "beta" but the issues have been few and far between. The quality of the picture has exponentially improved since they upgraded the app. The one thing I would caution is you may still have issues. We have a smart TV with Roku built in and the upgraded app for Roku is still in beta and it sucks...a lot. I actually just signed up for 3 months to get a 4k Apple TV for that TV so we don't have to use Roku. The Roku has other issues as well. The good news is the Apple TV app is pretty reliable but be prepared for issues once in a while. The other good news is they upgraded the app and it made significant improvements which is promising. For $35 + $5 for HBO per month and the addition of a DVR, I can live with the issues that pop up once in a while...especially since they have decreased significantly since the launch.

21. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

Sorry for the simplistic quest, but how does traveling with DTVN work? If I were to travel to another city (that had locals) would I have access to those if I signed into my DTVN account there? Or would my own locals show up?

22. forza1976 macrumors regular

The recent update allows you to view your local channels if you travel out of state for example.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005970363?source=EDe9DN000A000D00E

Specifically:
    • True Cloud DVRBETA including 20 hours of recording storage per month
    • An optional third simultaneous stream for $5/month
    • Access to local channels when traveling out of market
    • Bookmarks (formerly Watchlist) to 'pin' shows for easy access later
    • Improved navigation, search options & more

23. nrvna76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grabbed the Apple TV deal recently so have 3 months to use the service. When I was using it on our fire tv stick it was horrible. Sound and buffering issues. Set up the new Apple TV and it’s a completely different service.

Do not have as many locals as we would get with YouTube tv (missing Fox and ABC) which will be an issue come NFL season and for my wife’s ABC shows but we may just get an antenna for live locals.

I thought the Apple ‘TV’ app would group all of the other apps live streams but it does not seem to. So far, given that we already have AT&T this plan is only $20. Can’t justify switching to YouTube tv for double the price but we will see.

24. lederermc macrumors 6502

lederermc

I've have DTV and 7 iPhones on ATT family plan. When my DTV bill went form about $110 to about $125 I called and said I would switch to Comcast and T-mobile if they didn't cut the DTV price but to $110. They put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back with a cut of he price of DTV to $80.

25. HobeSoundDarryl, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    OP, you've already made your move here, so new advice may not be as important. So for (probably mostly) others who view this thread, the key thing to do is not lean too hard on opinions, as everyone has different reasons for switching. For many, the lone driver seems to revolve around how much they can claim they "saved" but compromises are being made in such savings no matter what options are chosen. Reasons for switching may be good-to-know info... but you may not share the same perceived value in those decisions.

My opinions on this topic:
    • To manage the cost of the traditional, flex your consumer power by first threatening cancellation departments with switching to see if they'll give you something like the "newbie" discount deal... and then switching if they call your bluff. Traditional typically has switching options of at least 1+ cable provider, DirecTV satt and Dish TV satt. Flex as consumer to make the power of competition work.
    • The traditional options are generally "full featured" refined. The new streaming options involve tradeoffs that can be surprising and can matter. For example, does one care about DD5.1 audio? NONE of the streaming options have better than stereo sound and some are mono. If you've set up a home theater system (which people have been doing as far back as the 1990's), sound can REALLY matter, but some only discover they don't have 5.1 anymore AFTER they've made the move. Example #2: The name "DVR" attached to virtual DVRs is typically far from the same experience: saved shows can be "on the clock" (self deleting after a period of time), some programming can be recorded and some can't, skipping commercials is not always an option, etc. And so on.
    • Anyone shopping for such an option needs to do the homework. Remember, the shopping typically involves looking at what marketers are presenting. Channel lists that show locals don't always mean you get your actual local channels- sometimes it's just access to some shows from those networks. If you care about local news, weather and other programming, you better dig in and see if you are going to get your local channels or just network shows.
    • Does "cutting the cord" actually save money? For every story one reads about old cable/satt bill vs. new bill, most only share the savings in the video part of the bill. What they tend to leave out is how switching from a double or triple play deal affects the new broadband-only price. The cord is rarely actually cut as the very companies which cutters are "beating" here are typically also the broadband provider on which the chosen alternative completely depends. If one "saves" $50 on video programming but then find themselves paying up to $50+ for now higher-priced broadband (and/or broadband cap overages), was there really any consumer savings "win"... especially considered against the tradeoffs of sound, full DVR functionality, actual locals, perhaps some favored channels, etc.
    Like OP, I had traditional SATT service- but through DISH. I explored ALL of the options but was not interested in saving $20 or even $50 per month if it meant losing DD5.1 and full DVR functionality. So I expected to play a game of hopping back and forth between the 4 traditional options in my area: DISH, DirecTV (satt), Comcast and AT&T Uverse.

What I really wanted was a way to keep ALL of the traditional model benefits without feeling like I'm giving up a lot (IMO) to save(?) the equivalent of a couple of Starbuck's coffees each month. And since OTA locals tend to be the highest quality incarnation of the big 5 networks, I definitely wanted a way to tap into all that free, highest quality versions of those channels, rather than accepting more compressed, audio-compromised versions of the same (if available).

Ultimately, here's what I did as a kind of "best of both worlds" solution (for me anyway):
    • HDHomeRun boxes from Silicon Dust. These are boxes you can plug into your home network and stream either OTA (local) channels and/or cable to any TVs and now Amazon Fire in the home. I picked up both their Prime box (for Comcast cable programming) and their Extends (for OTA local channels & subchannels). Now they have a Quad that I'd probably buy instead of the Extends for 4 OTA tuners in a single box.
    • The $25 Channels App. Most people look right over it because they can't imagine paying $25 for an app but it brings ALL of the programming from those HDHomeRun boxes together in an attractive (cable TV-like) UNIFIED, on-screen guide, merging OTA locals with Cable channels. This app allows you to put your channels in any order, set up a FAV channel list, hide any channels you don't want, etc.
    • The $8/month Channels App DVR- a full-featured, traditional hardware-like DVR that brings all of those key features NOT available on virtual DVRs to any TV in the house. Your DVR capacity is then NOT limited to ANY size- just add hard drives- and the recorded programming is accessible on ANY TV or computer or mobile device.
    Did I "cut the cord" per the general definition? No, but almost no one is really cutting their cord either (because they still need broadband to make even a Netflix-only option work). What this does do is cut the price without some big compromises while still working great through an :apple:TV. I encourage ANYONE thinking about cord cutting moves to consider this option too. All things considered, it seems to be a great alternative to any of the streaming services (and their compromises).

:apple:TV becomes the cable "box" at each TV, so that eliminates the box lease fees. Conceptually, I could have 20 TVs in my home linked into this system and have no additional cost on a cable bill beyond a cablecard in that HDHomeRun Prime (a relatively cheap option). DD5.1 on every channel. HD without stuttering. A much more functional DVR like the traditional ones instead of the "but you can't do that" features of the virtual DVRs. This doesn't burn one byte against a broadband cap. The cable mobile app makes streaming to mobile devices just as connected, however the Channels App people have a mobile app too. No hopping app to app to watch stuff (so non-techie family don't need lots of training- or frustrations- to watch what they want to watch). It's very nice to STILL have local OTA and cable channels in one unified guide. DVR size is basically scalable to whatever you want- just add hard drives as needed. Since I still have a cable subscription, I can use it to unlock many standalone apps that require an active cable subscription. If broadband goes down, I still have full access to all of the OTA networks and sub channels, PLUS everything recorded on the DVR. And so on.

In short: some of the worst culprits in making the traditional expensive- box leases tethered to each TV- are eliminated. I retain the flexibility to hop back to DISH or other options if Comcast ever decides to make this approach more expensive. This makes my :apple:TVs about 1000 times more useful than before. I save a little money vs. the old DISH subscription, so it's cheaper too without feeling like I'm making any meaningful compromises when it comes to AV programming & recording. It's now the most used app by far on my :apple:TVs.

Is it for everyone? No, nothing is. But all things considered on my end, it seems like the ideal mix of best of the traditional niceties with some sense of money cord-cutter savings too.