Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With DirecTV Now's latest offer, if you sign up for four months of the streaming TV service at an upfront cost of around $140, you'll get the 32GB Apple TV 4K at no cost. DirecTV Now starts at $35/month for the "Live a Little" package, which adds up to $140 for four months of service (without any additions like HBO or Showtime). Higher tiers increase to $50/month, $60/month, and $70/month with more channels added to each.

If you opt for the lowest tier, you can get Apple's latest Apple TV 4K device for just $140, which is $40 cheaper than its traditional price point of $180 at Apple and other retailers. If you take advantage of the savings and eventually decide you don't want to continue paying for DirecTV Now, you can cancel the service at any time on the company's website.

DTVNOW-apple-tv.jpg

The sale is for new customers signing up to DirecTV Now, but existing subscribers can likely use another email and credit card combination to get the Apple TV 4K at no cost. The offer will last through the end of 2017, requires a credit card or PayPal payment, and will see the Apple TV 4K delivered in around three weeks from the order date.

Here's more of the fine print, which also mentions that DirecTV Now does not currently support 4K HDR content streaming:
4K Apple TV (32 GB): Must prepay first four months of service at full price. Non-refundable. Online orders will be shipped via FedEx ground to address provided at point of sale. Allow 2-3 weeks for delivery. Offer limited to 1 per DIRECTV NOW account; 2 per household. Not combinable with select offers. 4k HD not avail. w/DIRECTV NOW.
To get started, visit DirecTV Now's website, click "Redeem and Stream," and within the sign-up process you'll encounter the "Special Offer" section with mention of the Apple TV 4K deal. When you're done, be sure to head over to our Deals Roundup and Black Friday Roundup to catch up on all of the latest sales as we head into Black Friday.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with DirecTV. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Update: DirecTV Now has sweetened the deal, so head over to our more recent post for the latest information.

Article Link: 'DirecTV Now' Offering 32GB Apple TV 4K at No Cost When Signing Up for 4-Month Service at $140 [Updated]

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Wow, not a bad deal, especially for anyone wanting to try out DTVNow service.

I took advantage of their free 4th-gen ATV last time around. Maybe I should do it again with a different email address XD
I'm gonna do exactly this, plus couple it with the $35 cashback offer from BofA. I took advantage of it last year to get an AppleTV and still have their $60 tier at $35, plus the free year of HBO we all got. Not too shabby. The service is definitely much improved.

Reactions: bruinsrme

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
What's the catch? I know there's a catch.

"Corporate generosity" is an oxymoron.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

The catch is really easy to see in BIG PRINT: pre-pay for 4 months of service. Who said ATT was being "generous"? It's a promotion and like all promotions, yup, its intend is to get you to become a long term customer. No subterfuge, no ambiguity there as far as I can see.

Reactions: imronburgundy

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Signed up. Hard to pass this up if you want a streaming service anyway and an ATV 4k. Hope they roll out their DVR soon, was supposed to be before the end of the year.

Reactions: FTI76

hxlover904

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
So how is their streaming these days? By all accounts it was horrendous and unusable for many people when it first came out.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Anyone know if this requires a credit check (either soft or hard pull), or giving your SSN for their account info?

Trocien

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Anyone know if this requires a credit check (either soft or hard pull), or giving your SSN for their account info?
It doesnt.
[doublepost=1510930847][/doublepost]I saw there was an option for "In-Store Pickup". I selected it but no further details were provided.....anyone have any ideas?

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Their channel offerings aren't too good. The bottom of the line package forces sports on the customer, and lacks a couple of things, like DIY. I'd have to go to the $60 package to get DIY, and then I'm paying for a large list of sports channels I'll never watch. Right now I'm on SlingTV, $30. I get DIY and a shorter list of sports I won't watch.

Waiting on the day I can get true ala carte TV...

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
See, that's the catch right there. :p

Lol. I suppose. Normally when I think of a catch though, I think of something that would end up getting you stuck in an agreement or something that would negatively effect the consumer. In this case, consumer gets a product at $40 off and four months worth of tv service, included in the price of the device they most likely were going to purchase anyway.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I took advantage of this deal last year for the ATV4. While the service was not great, we got an extra ATV4 that is in our bedroom and use every night.

If my wife and I had a 4k TV, I'd be interested in signing up with another email address. However, PS Vue is really good, so I don't have the need to switch at this time.

Is DTV Now DVR service live yet? Or still in beta?

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I'm gonna do exactly this, plus couple it with the $35 cashback offer from BofA. I took advantage of it last year to get an AppleTV and still have their $60 tier at $35, plus the free year of HBO we all got. Not too shabby. The service is definitely much improved.
With the Bank of America cash back deal, I might consider this.

Does the BDAY2017 promo code (for $25 off the first month) stack with the existing promotional pricing and the Apple TV "gift?"

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
It doesnt.
[doublepost=1510930847][/doublepost]I saw there was an option for "In-Store Pickup". I selected it but no further details were provided.....anyone have any ideas?

I also selected in store pickup and got no communication regarding it. I think last time around people just showed up in the store, and they were verifying the account and the pickup option, then completing it in store.

So how is their streaming these days? By all accounts it was horrendous and unusable for many people when it first came out.

It improved considerably a few months after launch.

I didn't know it was even in beta, but it's not available yet to customers.

Does the BDAY2017 promo code (for $25 off the first month) stack with the existing promotional pricing and the Apple TV "gift?"

Nope, if you try it will tell you the promotional pricing does not stack with device offers.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

I only use it at home. I have 100mbps service but with WiFi I only manage about 60. I've never had any issues since the start. The interface isn't the best but I manage for the price (grandfathered $35 Go Big package).

I use it on 3 different TVs, each with a different streaming device: ATV, Roku Express, Amazon TV Stick (2017). No difference with any of those devices. I just added the 2017 stick. Previously was a gen 2 model which was a bit flaky with DVT Now. The new model is flawless

Reactions: hxlover904

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007

It’s still in beta. The beta is slowly improving. They’ve just added Series Recording, and the image quality of recordings has improved over time. There is still a LOT to iron out though. UI is a glitchy and inconsistent, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if DVR doesn’t get a public release until January or February while it’s all worked out.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

There wasn't a catch last time they did this, in fact they were afraid people were going to leave, so they gave us a year of HBO free after the three months of prepaid.

Reactions: cjgrif

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I wonder if this is going to be the only discount offered for an ATV 4K over the holidays?

Most of the Black Friday fliers are out and on the net. Check out BFads.net for one. Looks like no deals on BF. Meijer is offering a $50 store card if you live in a city with one. Don't see any nationwide deals though. Maybe CyberMonday but looks like many Apple products are getting much discount as a whole this year. Mostly the "B" products.

But I know last year Visa Checkout was doing a lot of promotions like $30 off $100. So possibly a run-around to get a discount ATV. I think this DTV Now deal is going to be the best around and it's pretty good coming with 4 months of essentially free programming + the discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.