DirecTV superfan - NFL Sunday Ticket

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bbplayer5, Aug 30, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

How do you watch it on your iphone? I cant find an app for it... Supposedly watch any game anywhere? I have the NFL sunday ticket and superfan, but I dont see an app...

Thanks!

2. ncfuser macrumors regular

I don't see how Apple (more like AT&T) will allow this app.

This is from the letter Apple sent the FCC:
    "SlingPlayer Mobile, by Sling Media, was initially rejected because redirecting a TV signal to an iPhone using AT&T’s cellular network is prohibited by AT&T’s customer Terms of Service, but the developer subsequently fixed the application to use WiFi only and it has been approved"

So wouldn't this Superfan App be directing a football game that is on TV to your iPhone?
    If it does get approved over 3G, it puts a big hole in Apples defense.

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

there is an MLB app to watch games on the iphone. it's $9.99.

what probably happens is that they make a deal with AT&T to either stage the content on AT&T's network or they route the data so as not to cause performance issues.

SlingPlayer if used by enough people will cripple the network because the data flow isn't organized

4. Motorheadbanger macrumors member

The app hasn't been released for the Supercast mobile yet. The regular season doesn't start until Sep. 13th. If you go to Directv.com you can install Supercast for your desktop but all it does is get you prepared for the 13th.

5. ncfuser macrumors regular

Regardless on how they do it, it still contradicts Apple's statement.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This is quite a boneheaded moneygrab app by DirecTV and the NFL. Instead of going the MLB At Bat route and making audio available to EVERYBODY, they're going for the suparich who can afford Sunday Ticket. Most people have no need for that package, let alone the superfan upgrade, so the NFL and DirecTV are going to get only a few customers for that app. Go the MLB route and you have one of the top apps throughout the year. Add in-app game video purchases and make a killing.

But no, the NFL is too busy being in bed with DirecTV (and EA Sports for that matter).

7. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

Exactly what I'm saying!! They should make this app available to everyone.

What I plan on doing is to use my friends DirecTV account info so I can hopefully get the app

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

NBA, NHL, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports should all work on this model. I get that NASCAR is in bed with Sprint so it won't happen, but it could be a sweet app. In-car audio, race broadcasts, video recaps. The people who rent scanners at tracks would be pissed, but that's quite an old technology compared to smart phones.

The other guys could really give it a shot. MLS has some deals similar to MLB.tv on its Web site, which is why I'm surprised it hasn't come out with an audio/video app yet. And considering how much the NCAA makes on sports with unpaid athletes, it's amazing that all we have gotten was the March Madness app.

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

no it doesn't

10. C2x954 macrumors newbie

C2x954

As a current Directv member and Sunday Ticket and Superfan subscriber I was supper excited when I first saw the commercial.

According to Directv.com the app will become available 9/8.

11. dmb499 macrumors regular

link?

12. ncfuser macrumors regular

How doesn't it?

A live televised football/baseball game on your iPhone doesn't contradict "redirecting a TV signal to an iPhone using AT&T’s cellular network is prohibited by AT&T’s customer Terms of Service"

13. dmb499 macrumors regular

if that were the case, then how is the MLB app approved? this will be approved.

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

It's not redirecting a TV signal. The game's signal is sent straight to the phone, with all of DirecTV's ads controlled and in place.;)

15. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Okay, I get that it's not redirecting a tv signal, which is the legal clarification. But if ATT's real concern is network data overload, how is this not going to be a network killer? Is there money in it for ATT, and therefore they choose to ignore the network crippling ramifications?

I am a Superfan subscriber, so I will get this mobile coverage. Just seems that ATT is full of carp.

16. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

17. Motorheadbanger macrumors member

Good lookin' out. Thanks for the heads-up.

18. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Doesn't do much as of now but it is nice knowing I have it and will be ready come football season!

19. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I looked two or three times today...thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing we'll get a pretty quick update once this is out for a couple of weeks. Good to have it though.

20. normandy7 macrumors member

Oh yea!!! I don't see any mention in the description that it can broadcast video over 3g. Hopefully it's not wifi restricted.

21. Motorheadbanger macrumors member

I read on DBSTalk.com that it will be available over 3G as well as wifi.

22. alent1234 macrumors 603

live games are recordered by the league for later marketing. TV just gets a license to the signal. slingbox redirects a TV signal because it's in your home. in this case they take the raw data which is easy to control the routing on the network since it's all from one location. Worst case they made them lease an AT&T circuit for a direct path into their cell backhaul network

23. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

24. Requiemm macrumors regular

Anyone want to share their superfan info with me? I'll pay half your Superfan fee.

The wife won't authorize the sunday ticket purchase itself as we don't have the spare scratch right now.

25. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Someone would have to trust you enough with their login and password for DirecTV.com. That may be a hard thing for someone to do.