directx 10 to mac???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frankm007, Apr 23, 2007.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's kind of sketchy that they're asking people to pay them for their alpha code with the expectation that those people essentially become developers who are themselves developing the "conversions." But who knows? Perhaps it will be good.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Calling this ambitious is the understatement of the century...I applaud the notion but pardon me if I don't hold my breath...;)

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Microsoft owns DirectX and can change it anytime so that it will not run on non-Microsoft systems. I would rather see more support for OpenGL.

4. The General macrumors 601

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I was always wondering why M$ didn't patent DirectX so they can sue this guy to bankruptcy:D , any idea?

PS. I dont see this is any different from shameless cedega and cider etc.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Interesting! I am not familiar enough with games to catch things like this. Good point. I guess we'll see.

7. The General macrumors 601

Cider and Cedega are completely different products. Cedega is for consumers to run win32 games in Linux. Cider is to help developers port their win32 games to OS X. Aside from that, if this video is true, then you are correct. It is no different. Prey uses OpenGL. Period. No Direct3D about it. If he is running the Windows version of it, then he must be using Darwine.

Translating Direct3D system calls and commands to OpenGL is not all that needs to be done in order to run a Windows/DirectX game in another operating system. You also need a port of the win32 API. Games are not all graphics, there are a lot of various system calls that the Mac OS X kernel does not understand. The game talks to an NT kernel, so you'd need to translate all of those system calls and what not into something the Mac OS X kernel can understand.

Basically, it is either 100% bogus, or he has gotten Wine to run Prey, which really is no big deal because Prey uses OpenGL. In my experience in Linux, Prey actually runs 5 to 10 FPS faster in Wine than it does in Windows.

But yeah, if he wanted to trick us into thinking he was playing a DX10 game in Mac OS X, he should have at least chosen a game that used Direct3D. This guy has failed miserably at tricking me. :rolleyes:

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i know cider and cedega are differnt products targeting different user base (gamers vs. developers).
    Im just calling transgaming.inc shameless.:D