Dirt 2

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Sep 11, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Anyone else picked this up ?

Have to say it's excellent.

I'm not the biggest driving fan at all, however I've had a Microsoft Wireless Steering wheel for ages (a present never used) and had little opportunity 'to pull it out' since (careful I'll do the innuendo around here ;) ) but it works wonderfully with the game.

It reminds me mostly of 'Rallisport Challenge' on the Xbox more so than any of the Colin McRae games.

Graphics and presentation are top notch, though I knew this from the demo.

Traded in Wolfenstein and all I can say is 'wise decision'.....

For once MRU isn't complaining.......... a rare occurrence..... :D

2. Reventon macrumors 6502

I just bought it yesterday myself. Looks pretty good so far and alot of fun. The video trailers and reviews are what did for me.. looked so good. Didn't like Wolfenstein, eh? I just bought that too recently, and haven't had much chance to play it.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i am planning on purchasing Dirt 2 and Grid both from codemasters - the games are VERY fun.. but i hate playing them knowing how badly i want to shell out 200$ and get the Logitech G25!!

4. Reventon macrumors 6502

lol.. I hear you, man. Though I probably won't be able to resist the temptation when/if Gran Tourismo 5 comes out.

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Enjoying it still..... Though I had to do a lot of adjusting to the 360 wireless steering wheel to get it comfortable.... I may end up going back to just gamepad..

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

DOOOOO IT!!! :)

Especially if you can get one for only $200, as that's a steal. I paid $236 for mine, but was careful to watch its price the first month and noticed when it dropped to $214 at Frys.

If you do get one, this is for the PC, but set the rotation to 180˚. It closely matches how the guy in the car actually turns the wheel. Not sure if the PS3 allows one to adjust the settings like the PC, if anything it's probably in the game.

The force feed back is awesome, as it really feels like what's going on with the road. Each car also has a different feel on how they handle.

There's also a G27 now, which has a smoother transmission.

Anyways, I have to wait for this game, since they're upping it for DX11 -- which I really don't care about, but I do appreciate the extra effort. Grid -- which looks better than the original DIRT -- already looks great on my PC and runs dead-locked at my screen's HZ at max detail (60 fps). Codemasters really knows what they're doing.

I WANT DIRT 2 NOW!!! :eek:

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh !! so that's why your using that 640x480 screen then ;) :p

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Nope, my current PC screen is 1600x1900, easy cake for a $200 video card. :p

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

$200 ?? :eek: it obviously wasn't a mac GPU ;):):):)

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Nope! But that would be nice and hopefully it will be a reality some day. PCs for a cheap gaming and 3D solution, Macs for everything else. :)

It's a PNY GTX 275. I checked the benchmarks before buying one, and its performance is right on the heals of a 285, and in some cases it even outperforms that card. So for $199 the other month, I figure why not. BUT, I need to note that my 9600 GT pushed GRID at 45 fps on average at max-detail, so I guess I upgraded out of boredom. :eek:

I use the free version of FRAPS to check my PC's performance.

11. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Shall I open it?

Hey guys. I just got the Windows version of the game – I ordered it several months ago, but at least here in Europe (Sweden) it was delayed until now.

Do you think we'll ever see a Mac version of the game anytime soon?
    It hurts a little bit that I have started to buy Windows games. I'd rather support Mac game developers and I don't really like the need of restarting, but at the same time – what can you do when Apple only seem to care about iPhone/iPod touch gaming?

What do you think?
    Open or sell? :)

I have other games to play, but the only good racing game I have is FlatOut 2. Would be nice with some variation...

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Doubt it will be ported to the mac anytime soon.

It was delayed to implement DirectX 11. It's meant to be very impressive, assuming you have DirectX11 supported / accelerated hardware