Dirt or dead pixel?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spoon72, Jul 26, 2011.

1. spoon72 macrumors regular

spoon72

I know this question was asked N times but... I have a dot stuck at my iMac 2011,if I power off I can see the dot as grey or white in color ... I try to view side way to see if it will move as what people mention but difficult to see. Hvnt decide to open up as afraid more dust going in

2. MrT-Man macrumors regular

If you stick a magnifying glass up to it you should be able to tell. Chances are its dust or lint if you see it when the computer is off. I wouldn't worry too much about taking the glass off, it's very easy to do (albeit a little bit scary the first time) and I don't think it's likely you'd get a noticeable amount of dust on it if you put it back on within a couple of minutes.

3. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Compressed air and a large microfiber cloth should get rid of all dust. Just takes a few passes at it

4. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

is it truth that we can only change the imac if ony the dead pixel is 15 or more?

5. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

i saw the video from ifixit and bought the tools but when lift up the glass panel with some force will we scratch the bottom of the panel against the silver /brass casing?

6. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I removed and replaced my glass about 15 times in a span of 2 hours after installing my SSD to get all of the dust and fingerprints off the screen and glass panel. You pull back on the top side to release the magnets, then use the suction cups to lift the glass upward to disengage it from the bottom part of the case. The glass has some "teeth" on the bottom that align it properly. You will not damage anything if you are careful not to stick anything sharp into the LCD.