Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Hi guys, I'm looking for a dirt simple video editing app for Mac. Basically what something like 'Audacity' is to audio. I just want to be able to import footage, maybe cross-blend two videos, maybe add a caption and background music, and then render.

I usually use Adobe Premiere but that involves all the usual 'setting up your project settings, choosing disk locations, defining your output formats' etc which is way too much hassle.

I've had bad times with iMovie and the like - I don't want to get halfway through my edit only to find that the format or codec I'm trying to use isn't supported, or I can only import background music from my iTunes library or any such crap.

Does such a program exist for Mac???!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iMovie 11 ... just verify that your footage is compatible and if its not then convert it. That is the best answer... I can't remember if you can import audio outside of iTunes but even if you cant, what's wrong with putting the audio into iTunes first and then bringing it in your project?

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
See this is the thing -

...verify that your footage is compatible and if its not then convert it

...[put] the audio into iTunes first and then [bring] it in your project

NO.

:D

Seriously though, why do I have to do either of these things? It's 2012. Surely some app is clever enough to let me drag and drop footage?? Like the 'MS Paint' of video editing?? That's what I want! :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
See this is the thing -

NO.

:D

Seriously though, why do I have to do either of these thin? It's 2012. Surely some app is clever enough to let me drag and drop footage?? Like the 'MS Paint' of video editing?? That's what I want! :)

I've never had to do any of those things (convert footage for iMovie or deal with issues importing audio. I was making an assumption that you tried importing your footage and that failed, and that you tried importing audio and that failed. The other posted verified you can import audio easily. So what's the issue? Enjoy iMovie ... it doesn't get any easier!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
QuickTime Pro

back in the day QTPro was considered dirt simple ;)

but you still have to ingest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.