Dirty Dirty computer

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BLOODCAR, Jun 24, 2007.

1. BLOODCAR macrumors newbie

I wanna set a friend up with my old G4 tower and it has been at a friends house and is DIRTY DIRY! I opened it up and it looks like a cat lived in it. I'm going to get some cans of dust off and spray it out. Is there anything alse I should do? I cleaned the Keyboard, that was easy. I wanna clean up the computer- reformat it and get some final cut pro going on it so he can edit.

any advice?

as far as starting the computer over clean and from scratch, do I just insert format discs? I don't really know

thanks

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

[joking] soap and water [/joking]

But yes, to reformat it, you stick in the OS disk, it will give you an option to wipe or something along that nature.

3. BLOODCAR thread starter macrumors newbie

and to clean?

is dust off my only option in that area?

4. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

A can of air, yes, Thats you're best option IMO. You really don't wanna get in there and start touching cards and circuits and whatnot, that could cause permanent damage.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

if you are wanting to run Final Cut on it after you clean out the computer max the RAM if it isn't already.

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I hear cats are good ways to remove dust, at least mine is. Big and furry like giant swifter pads. They also wiggle around to pick up more dust. and when you're done they clean themselves.

Unless the dust is causing a problem, don't touch it. It has tons of static electricty along with the duster cans, lots of static. You can hurt the computer. Also just use real compressed air not that compress crap in a bottle. Bicycle pump works great.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

buy a Mr.Clean Magic eraser for the outside of the case and keyboard. it makes plastic look brand new!:)

9. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I actually washed out one of my PC cases with a disinfectant wipe. I worked around the components and any place I couldn't get to I used the vacuum and an air duster. I wouldn't recommend it, but this case had soda inside of it and dusting was not getting it out.

10. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

if it is really dirty, take it down to your local garage and blast it with compressed air. make sure that everything is attached securely though. i did this once with my powermac g4. i got a few strange looks but it cost nothing and did a really good job.

also, ensure that you don't touch any metal parts inside the mac with the metal nozzle on the end of the rubber hose. you don't want any sparks from static electricity.

even better, if u have a mate with a compressor , ask if u can use it.

steer clear of vacuum cleaners.

aussie_geek

11. volvoben macrumors 6502

Dust should definitely be taken care of, it will always lead to cooling problems and will only get worse with time.

I've used canned air mostly, but also my large compressed air tank on occasion, and I've never had a problem. I avoid blowing out electronics when it's particularly dry, but as long as it's not the middle of winter it should be fine. I've watched folks at electronics repair shops use canned air liberally on both $10k+ stereo equipment and computers, I'm pretty sure it's better than trying to physically touch the gear or leaving the dust to cause problems.

This way your friend will have a nice clean computer, until of course his girlfriend leaves him alone for a bit and it once again becomes a dirty, dirty computer.

12. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

But then you have a cat hair problem:rolleyes:

13. Digidesign macrumors 6502

In addition to the compressed air, you can use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the the dust once you spray it loose from the system. It'll also help from you getting clouds of dust in your lungs. If there's a fine/small nozzle attachment, you can use it to clean the bottom of the case or the outside of the fans.

14. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

yea, vacuum cleaners SUK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehahaha :eek: