Dirty Grime on Screen

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OceanView, Aug 27, 2011.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

OK, so about 3 weeks ago, I had an issue with my iPad 2.
    Took it into the Apple store and they gave me a replacement.
    The replacement was in a brown box so I am assuming it was a refurbished one.
    Over the next few weeks I noticed that the screen became dirty much more frequently. On average I use to clean the screen about once a week on the old iPad. It was just finger prints for the most part and nothing that was noticeable to the touch. Lately the new iPad has really gotten dirty and there is a residue of grime.
    I know this sounds like I have dirty hands but I don't. I'm pretty OCD about washing my hands and I usually wash them about 10-15 times per day, maybe even more. It's so bad that I have to clean the screen every day.
    Am I nuts or is there something wrong with my iPad screen?

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    You must wear gloves when you use your iPad 2 if you were cleaning the screen but once a week. My screen is cleaned at least once a day; sometimes more if it needs it. I don't live in a sterile environment and read e-news while I'm eating lunch. No big deal; the screen cleans up quickly and easily with a lens cloth.

You didn't say if you use a cover. A new smart cover will leave a residue, but that goes away with use. Once in a while I'll use a lint roller on the inside of my smart cover to clean it. Dust and grime can accumulate in a carrying case as well.

I doubt if there's anything wrong with your iPad screen.

3. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Just because it was in a brown box doesn't mean it was a refurbished iPad. New replacement unit are shipped to the Apple stores in brown boxes because they are not retail units and don't need the more expensive printed boxes.

I don't know about your dirty screen issue but whatever ends up on your screen must be transferred from there from somebody's hand.