dirty macbook.. help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by temen, Jan 13, 2012.

1. temen macrumors member

Hi,

I just cleaned my macbook and saw something wird:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/822537/dirty_macbook.jpg

This is visible only from low angle (from 5 to 70 degrees).
    I tried some window&glass cleaner, warm water, even a little bit of zippo lighter fluid.. and nothing.

Do you have any idea what else could be safe to try?

I have no idea how I made this spots..:(

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why would you use zipper lighter fluid on your mac :confused:

As far as I can tell, you probably created a corrosive solvent that damaged the finish of your MBP

3. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

A friend of mine took hers to an Apple Store and they cleaned hers for free.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Agreed that you have probably eaten into the finish and started corrosion. Corrosion on Al can appear as white spots (especially if you cleaned with mineral laden material).

5. temen thread starter macrumors member

I tested this fluid on back on my macbook and after that on 2mm of the stain. So whole stain is from something else..
    corrosive solvent? I have no idea how I could do such a thing.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to state the obvious, but it wasn't there before you "cleaned" your mac, and now its there. Still it begs the question why even consider using lighter fluid on an expensive laptop. I'm not getting that piece of logic.

7. temen thread starter macrumors member

I have 2 sticks. I used lighter fluid on 1. Not on both of them.
    Picture in my 1 post is of the SECOND stick.
    Could you guys give a break this fuild..?

Sticks from the picture in my 1st post I tried to clean only with window cleaning liquid.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but you asked for help on what could be causing the spots after mentioned you created a cleaning solution. Don't you think that cleaning solution was the culprit :confused:

I'm not trying to sound harsh or flame you. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you wrote.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a stick as you are referring to it here???

10. temen thread starter macrumors member

stick = stain,

Sorry, maybe I said it wrong.

I cleaned whole touchpad area with a window cleaning liquid.
    then I noticed 2 stains (second one is on the photo)
    tried to clean first stain with the liquid (zippo) without any success
    uploaded a photo of the second stain for you.

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I back my original statement that it is probably corrosion. If it was dirty enough, you may have cleaned away the dirt or smudges to reveal a patch that has been affected by your chemistry. It doesn't happen often, but it is known to happen in certain situations where a persons chemistry is acidic enough to have eaten away at the MBP and cause corrosion in the surface. It is rare but does happen, and there are reports of it within these forums. You may have cleaned up to reveal what was already there just not noticed.

12. temen thread starter macrumors member

And there's no any way to fix it? Just live with it or replace whole top case for $300-400 ?

13. iforbes macrumors 6502

Can you feel the stain (does it have texture) or is it smooth like the rest of the surface of your macbook?

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Haven't heard of or seen a way to reverse it (if in fact corrosion). The only thing is replace it, live with it, or cover it up, sticker, wrist pad, etc. I wouldn't worry about it, but then that is me and I consider my computer a tool to earn a living by and use mine accordingly. I take care of mine, but do not worry about little scratches or nicks. I consider them battle scars and badges or honor designating usage and not trophy status.

15. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

I was going to use glass cleaner on my screen to avoid streaking, but apple's support website says to use water, anybody use windex and have it come out ok?

16. temen thread starter macrumors member

first one I can feel (have a texture), second one I can't feel.
    Why?

good point.. I earn my living with macbook too. It's just when I bought macbook 17'' in may 2011 for this kind of money I expected it will be more.. accident-proof. If not, well, I'll live with it.

17. iforbes macrumors 6502

If you can feel it, it sounds more like the corosion theory floated above. You could try (at your own risk) Barkeepers Friend. Try it in a non-conspicious area first as it might scratch. I wonder if one of those mr. clean magic erasers would work?