Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SabaManga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
I'm a cheapskate, and as much as I love Apple and support their products, there's no way I'm getting ripped off and buying iKlear. :eek:
The amount of times I've heard people say: Don't bother, it's just Spectacle-Cleaning Fluid.
So... Can I just use any old glasses cleaning spray on it..? With a nice fibre-whatnow cloth, so it doesn't scratch? :p
I go through glasses at about the same rate as people go through t-shirts, so I'm in no shortage of Lens cleaning fluid.
But if not, is there another alternative? Not brand names and stuff, as I said, I really can't be bothered spending copious amounts of dosh on something I'm only ever going to use twice if that. I heard someone say baking soda somewhere, but my MacBook is my baby :)apple:) and there's no way I'm going near it with anything before I know what it'll do.
Help...?
:eek:

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
This is probably the 50th cleaning thread out here...

But...They best way to clean it (and the way I clean mine) is to very lightly damp a paper towel, rub the dirty parts, and then dry it with wither a microfiber towel or the one that came with it. I turn mine off and unplug it as well.

note: When I saw lightly damp, I mean turn on the water and very quickly swipe the towel through the water.

bwiissofly

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
magic eraser

i prefer iklear though...worked marvelously and i dont mind paying a little more for my expensive item

you get what you pay for

SabaManga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Wash your hands more often.

Ahaha XD
I'm a complete clean freak, I normally keep it in a dust proof case, and won't let anyone touch it without inspecting their hands.
I recently made the mistake of drawing, and not realising I had smeared graphite from the picture all over my palms :S

Just looking to see what other people are doing before I take any action I might regret...
Like.. Smearing graphite all over my keys and palm rest :(

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

SabaManga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
I'm slightly afraid of you.
It took me two years to save up... The novelty of having a white laptop hasn't quite warn off yet... Y'know?
Haha (y)

We don't have Magic Erasers in Italy... Though by the sound of it, it seems as though we should..?

SabaManga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
I guess Ima just have to "permanently borrow" someone's iKlear then.. Haha.
I tried water, but it didnt take all of the graphite off. Plus it's still all over the keyboard...
Ahh well.

Phillyzero

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
My macbook is quite new, and when I try to clean the screen with the cloth that it came with I always get streaking. This isn't a mac specific question, but how do you prevent streaking? I heard that any cleaning solution with ammonia and especially alcohol is not advised for these screens.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
My macbook is quite new, and when I try to clean the screen with the cloth that it came with I always get streaking. This isn't a mac specific question, but how do you prevent streaking?

Breath on the screen then wipe it. No streaks.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
I had Iklear bought for me, sure its great with a microfibre cloth both I wont be buying it when its empty.
on the side of the bottle it tells you what it is, "Ionized water".

I will just run some filtered water and fill up the spray bottle and carry on using the microfibre cloth :)

Mind you, as other posters have pointed out, it lasts a hell of a long time, its just I disagree with the price of £15 for a small bottle!

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
You guys are nuts- my macbook is covered in hot sauce/ burrito grease as we speak and it still works gr8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.