Dirty word: Bit Torrent

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cantthinkofone, Feb 12, 2009.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

First off i'm not trying to download anything illegal, or share anything illegal.

I want to send a video i made of a local cross country race with the people who raced it. I tried uploading it to youtube, but it's 19 minutes long. Rapidshare says it's too big.

So i thought why not bit torrent.

But i can't get it to seed. I have it uploaded on mininova.org, and my client says it's super seeding. But nobody can download it.

Any advice would be helpful. I've never used bit torrent before.

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

For BitTorrent to work properly you have to forward a port. You can do this by accessing your router through your browser. This should help solve a lot of problems.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What BT client are you using?
    You can then check if the open port is working properly as suggested by cycocelica.

4. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'm using Vuze. I'm not sure i like it so much tho. Lots of extras and really slows down my powermac.

I've downloaded one other torrent, and once it was done downloading i was seeding it. I turned on port 1330 on my router and told it to send it to the computer i wanted.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Perhaps try something in this range:
    6881-6999

Transmission is also light and pretty stable.

6. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Ok i'll try those when i get home. Vuze said to use 1330 so i used that. But i didn't really understand what it was saying.

I've used transmission before, but didn't think it could make and seed torrents so thats why i switched.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh it does it all…
    And lots less of a resource hog than others.

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

You usually want to use a port higher than 50000, so you don't interfere with other applications.

And if you want to create a torrent file in Transmission, just drag and drop the file you want to add.

9. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

ok i think i got it. i used transmission, and uploaded the tracker to mininova.

it says there is one seed.

Question tho...When i go to preferences-->network, it says the port is closed. Will this affect me seeding to people? I've tried a few others but it keeps saying closed.

*EDIT*

I put port 50001 down in transmission. and it still says it's closed. Ideas?

Attached Files:

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If the port is reported as closed by Transmission it is closed and seeding will be non-existent.
    Try another number? I get success usually in this range: 6881-6999

Oh, and have you checked the OSX firewall?

11. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

OK. I've forwarded every port from 6881-6999. And it still says it's closed. I've tried on my Powermac thats running Tiger server, and my MB thats running leopard. Both say the port is closed. I've tried inputing different ports in trans but still nothing.

I have DSL thru embarq and i've looked at the modem settings. I enabled UPnP, turned off the firewall. And even made a rule on the firewall that ports 6881-6999 are to be opened. Still nothing.

Attached Files:

12. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Sounds like your video is raw if its too big. You might like to re-encode it, you can use iMovie and Handbrake and stuff like that real simple. A nineteen minute movie should weigh in pretty light.

13. GregE macrumors 6502

14. technotask macrumors newbie

i use vuze... good speed and no problems yet....

15. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

How big is the file? If it's under 2GB I suggest using Dropbox. Far simpler than seeding a torrent.

16. hellodon macrumors 6502

How big is it that rapidshare says no? Try Megaupload?