Disable auto complete?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sagittaru, Jul 18, 2008.

1. sagittaru macrumors member

sagittaru

How can I disable auto complete/correction for text message on iphone 3g?
    It's pretty annoying sometimes.

2. vertigomhs macrumors member

3. ins0mniaque macrumors newbie

I'm not sure about the 3G and 2.0, but on my iPhone with 1.1.4, I can go to "Settings > General > International > Keyboards" and add a keyboard. I added the French Canadian one here. It allows me to switch keyboards while typing. The French Canadian keyboard doesn't trigger any auto-correction and has the same layout as the US one, only difference is that space is labeled "espace" and return is labeled "entrée".

4. iPhone3G macrumors member

Unfortunately, the international keyboard swap does not work on the 3G and/or 2.0. Auto-correction still applies to the various international keyboards (including French-Canadian). It seems as though there is no fix for this texting issue as of yet (that I know of, at least).

Anyone with ideas, please pitch in. I'm sure there are many who would love to disable this "feature."

5. sagittaru thread starter macrumors member

sagittaru

I tried that on my iphone, french canadian still does trigger auto correction :(

6. ins0mniaque macrumors newbie

Nice! At last auto-correction in french! ;)

But for those still struggling with that issue, I found a fix on my friend's 3G. You just need to rename (or delete, but I don't recommend it) the text input file located at /System/Library/TextInput/TextInput_en.bundle (_en for english). Your phone needs to be jailbroken.

Steps for unsavvy users:
    1. Start terminal (MobileTerminal)
    2. su <enter>, enter root password (default is alpine, but let's hope you changed it using "passwd <enter>".
    3. cd /System/Library/TextInput
    4. mv TextInput_en.bundle TextInput_en.bundle.backup
    5. Restart phone
    6. Enjoy not having to tap every word you type!

7. sagittaru thread starter macrumors member

sagittaru

so its only possible to disable this autocomplete/correct on jailbroken huh? :(

8. ins0mniaque macrumors newbie

AFAIK, yes. But why wouldn't you jailbreak your phone ?

9. tsvb macrumors 6502

It must have been coincidence but I jailbreaked my phone last night and then had no service so I restored.

10. Raja.m macrumors newbie

Auto-correction off

I m nt sure abt iphone 2g r 3g but its possible in iphone4.
    Go to Settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Auto-correction, switch to 'Off'

11. Sean.n macrumors newbie

Thanks. It worked fine on my 3gs.