Disable automatic backups?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jason2811, Sep 22, 2014.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to disable automatic backups to my computer and iCloud? I just want to plug my phone in and have my music transfer over without any backups being created. Thanks!

2. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but if you're concerned about the time it's taking I will say that after you get one full backup the subsequent backups only back up anything that changed, so it goes much faster. Of course, if you're worried about disk space, then that won't help much;)

That said, though, backups of some sort are always a good idea. You never know when something bad will happen and you'll wish you had one.

3. Solver macrumors 6502a

Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
    Under Backup, turn off the switch for iCloud Backup.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

If you enable iCloud backups, the device will stop backing up automatically to the computer when you sync.

You can still back up manually to the computer, by right clicking the device in iTunes and clicking "Backup".

Aside from enabling iCloud backup there is no way to disable the automatic backup. It is there so that when you lose your phone you're less likely to whine to Apple about how you lost all your precious data.