disable cmd+Q in firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NoSmokingBandit, Jul 24, 2009.

1. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Occasionally when going for "cmd+A" i hit "cmd+Q" which is incredibly frustration. Is there way way to completely disable cmd+Q?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

CMD Q is an OS X keystroke combo, it can't be overriden.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

World of Warcraft overrides it; you need to press Cmd-Opt-Q to quit. It's therefore certainly possible to override, but I have no idea whether this is possible in Firefox (aside from compiling your own version).

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's possible with some apps (like Safari) but not Firefox. I'm guessing Firefox isn't Cocoa ... anyone confirm that?

You can do for Safari from the keyboard shortcuts preferences by e.g. adding a shortcut for "Quit Safari" to be command-option-Q.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Even if you add that shortcut, doesn't Cmd-Q still remain as the system shortcut?

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No, it replaces cmd-Q with cmd-option-Q for Safari only - I just did it to make sure I wasn't repeating lies someone told me once. Edit: tested it with Terminal too.

8. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I tried this for firefox before and cmd+Q still worked. I changed it to Alt+F4 like windows has it, and the new shortcut even showed up in the Firefox menu, but cmd+Q still quit the app.
    I'll try it again though.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

10. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Can't you just make Firefox remember tabs from last time so when you restart, you are up and running in a second?

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes, like I said, it doesn't work with Firefox. It works with Safari and Camino.

I believe I read something a few months ago complaining about how you couldn't set custom keyboard shortcuts for Firefox. (edit: yes, I was right - http://www.geekguides.co.uk/138/so-custom-keyboard-shortcuts-in-firefox-for-mac-os-are-broken/)

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, Firefox does have an option for "Warn when closing multiple tabs" that could at least give you a warning instead of quitting straight out as long as you have multiple tabs open.

13. mr-shoeless macrumors newbie

Macro Software

There's third-party macro software that could do it. I use Keyboard Maestro and I was easily able to disable command-q in firefox with it by setting the macro trigger to command-q and the action to "Cancel All Macros" (I just tried it).