Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Occasionally when going for "cmd+A" i hit "cmd+Q" which is incredibly frustration. Is there way way to completely disable cmd+Q?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
CMD Q is an OS X keystroke combo, it can't be overriden.

World of Warcraft overrides it; you need to press Cmd-Opt-Q to quit. It's therefore certainly possible to override, but I have no idea whether this is possible in Firefox (aside from compiling your own version).

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
It's possible with some apps (like Safari) but not Firefox. I'm guessing Firefox isn't Cocoa ... anyone confirm that?

You can do for Safari from the keyboard shortcuts preferences by e.g. adding a shortcut for "Quit Safari" to be command-option-Q.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It's possible with some apps (like Safari) but not Firefox. I'm guessing Firefox isn't Cocoa ... anyone confirm that?

You can do for Safari from the keyboard shortcuts preferences by e.g. adding a shortcut for "Quit Safari" to be command-option-Q.

Even if you add that shortcut, doesn't Cmd-Q still remain as the system shortcut?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Even if you add that shortcut, doesn't Cmd-Q still remain as the system shortcut?

No, it replaces cmd-Q with cmd-option-Q for Safari only - I just did it to make sure I wasn't repeating lies someone told me once. Edit: tested it with Terminal too.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008

No, it replaces cmd-Q with cmd-option-Q for Safari only - I just did it to make sure I wasn't repeating lies someone told me once. Edit: tested it with Terminal too.

I tried this for firefox before and cmd+Q still worked. I changed it to Alt+F4 like windows has it, and the new shortcut even showed up in the Firefox menu, but cmd+Q still quit the app.
I'll try it again though.

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden
Can't you just make Firefox remember tabs from last time so when you restart, you are up and running in a second?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I tried this for firefox before and cmd+Q still worked. I changed it to Alt+F4 like windows has it, and the new shortcut even showed up in the Firefox menu, but cmd+Q still quit the app.
I'll try it again though.

Yes, like I said, it doesn't work with Firefox. It works with Safari and Camino.

I believe I read something a few months ago complaining about how you couldn't set custom keyboard shortcuts for Firefox. (edit: yes, I was right - http://www.geekguides.co.uk/138/so-custom-keyboard-shortcuts-in-firefox-for-mac-os-are-broken/)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Well, Firefox does have an option for "Warn when closing multiple tabs" that could at least give you a warning instead of quitting straight out as long as you have multiple tabs open.

mr-shoeless

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Macro Software

There's third-party macro software that could do it. I use Keyboard Maestro and I was easily able to disable command-q in firefox with it by setting the macro trigger to command-q and the action to "Cancel All Macros" (I just tried it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.