Disable Discrete (6750M) GFX if a external Display is connected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monstar-x, Mar 14, 2011.

1. monstar-x macrumors member

Is there any way to use the Intel HD3000 when a external Display ist connected? I really dont need the Power of the ATI 6750M when i work or watching a Movie.

A hack or little App would be very nice.
    Thanks

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i used an app called gfxcardstatus but if i forced intel card while using a second monitor it would go black, i simply don't think the intel card can connect through the displayport

3. finchwizard macrumors member

finchwizard

I had the same problem. I had all my adapters plugged in and spent a while trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any picture.

Then remembered I had set it to Integrated Only. Changed it back to Discrete and away she went.

Don't know if they will get drivers at a later point to enable it. But at the time being I think you're stuck with the AMD.

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Has there been any change associated with this? The 6750M raises my system's temperature by close to 30˚C. I know the HD3000 can drive an external monitor on systems without a discrete graphics card; is there any way to have it do so for those of us with the discrete card?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 3000HD is not physically connected in any way shape or form to the TB port, which is why what the OP and you guys want is not possible.

It has nothing at all to do with drivers or whatnot, it's simply how it's hardwired in the computer.

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Although it is impossible to do as the OP desires, your first point isn't entirely true.

A frame drawn by the integrated graphics chip could be transferred via PCI to the discrete GPU, which would then be able to draw that frame to the screen, while basically idling. So yes, it does seem impossible to display video on an external monitor with the discrete card completely off, but it's not impossible to have an external monitor displaying video that was rendered by the iGPU, while the dGPU is in a low power state, ie 2D mode.

Although such ability would be completely pointless right now, as the dGPU idling would likely still be faster than the iGPU, it would be nice if Apple either implement this, or otherwise shuffled the TB port onto the graphics switch, because it WOULD be useful for a notebook with Haswell. The iGPU in that will certainly be powerful enough to drive a couple of high res monitors with 2D stuff, or even simple 3D stuff.