Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
I connected an external display to my MBP. I was wondering if it is a way to disable the laptop display so its not an extension of the desktop.

I know by putting it to sleep and then waking it up usually remedies this, however right now my MBP is unable to wake up from sleep when the lid is closed. Just wondering if there was another way.

jtyler1383

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
What about mirroring the display and just turning down the contrast on your mbp?

:apple: > System Preferences... > Displays

Select the arrangment tab and click mirror displays.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
problem with that is that the screen i have attached native resolution is 1920x1200, and the MBP is just 1440x900. When you mirror you can only mirror on the lowest resolution :(

i seriously cant believe macs dont have the ability to just disable a screen. PCs have had this option for well over a decade

Musicmasta

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2008
Syracuse
just close your macbook.. if you connect a usb device or click with your mouse/tap your keyboard your macbook will wake. That's how I use my external.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
just close your macbook.. if you connect a usb device or click with your mouse/tap your keyboard your macbook will wake. That's how I use my external.

try reading the first post...

i think the sensor is farked because it no longer allows me to do this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.