Disable dock icon but keep menu icon

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by doobs, Apr 20, 2009.

1. doobs macrumors regular

I have an application (Tweetie) that has a dock icon and a menu bar icon. If I put
    Code:
    <key>LSUIElement</key>
    <true/> 
    after <dict> in the info.plist file for the application, then both the dock and menu bar icons disappear. Does anyone know of a way to disable only the dock icon while keeping the the menu bar icon visible? Thanks in advance...

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

AFAIK, there isn't a way to do this. You either show both Dock and menu bar, or neither and use an NSStatusItem.

3. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

You are wrong, lot of programs just keep in MenuBar, like InsomniaX - iStat and such.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

That's what NSStatusItem is. It's the menu item that shows in the menu bar on the right side. Usually apps show this only, or they have a normal Dock icon and menu bar, but not both.

LSUIElement shouldn't hide the NSStatusItem. If it is then something else is going on in the code.

Edit: I tested this using Tweetie although I don't have a Twitter account. The first time it didn't show, but the second time it did, so maybe just try relaunching the app again.

5. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

What about Bowtie ? You can see either both, only one or neither. I am not pro on programming, so anyone else can confirm this.
    Sorry if I looked to be rude.