Disable dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lynkynpark86, May 7, 2012.

1. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

Is there a way to disable the dock without quitting/deleting Dock.app? Between Alfred and cmd-tab I literally haven't used the dock in months, and it just gets in the way much of the time. I know I can hide it, and I obviously have, but it just gets annoying either way. It feels to me like the widget "feature" in Windows 7 that I doubt you can disable.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im in the same position, and just hide it. It's not ideal, but means this who aren't used to Alfred can still use the iMac.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Even if you did manage to quit the Dock permanently, it provides that Cmd-Tab function you referred to, along with Dashboard, Mission Control, and several other features. Just hide and put it where you won't bring it up accidentally very easily.

jW

4. lynkynpark86, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012

lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just another note, since Spaces, I haven't minimized something once. At least not intentionally. That's the only other function it does that I can think of. Obviously Dock.app does lots, but the dock itself is rather useless to anyone with Alfred

5. Mal, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012

Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The assumption was that if you didn't want to hide the Dock the way that is provided in the System natively, then you wanted to essentially quit it, despite your poor wording. I won't attempt to help you again, though, so enjoy the boards without me.

jW

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I gave you helpful information. If it helps you understand what I was trying to say, you can replace the word "quit" in my first post with the word "disable" that you used. They are 100% interchangeable in this instance. Then, for fun, go back and do the same with one of those words in your original post, and you'll see why you got the responses you did. All of them until yours were polite and while they didn't solve your problem, they did give you helpful information. Tossing around expletives disguised within acronyms doesn't earn you any favors around here.

Anyways, I'm done here, and I've put you on my ignore list so I really won't be responding to you here or anywhere else on the forum.

jW