Disable Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Just Switched, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Just Switched macrumors member

Hi, I just got a mac pro yesterday and have been very happy with it.
    The one thing that is slowing me down is the dock. I'm new to Mac OS X
    and use to Windows XP Pro. The dock is taking up screen space from my
    applications. If I hide it It just comes back when I need to access a button
    or item near the edge and gets in the way. I've tried left, right and bottom
    but I just want the annoying bar gone. I like having the application I'm
    currently running taking up the entire screen with out seeing the desktop.
    On XP I can hide the start menu bar with out it coming back up unless I
    need it to. On OS X I have The Apple Menu bar at top and dock at bottom
    just taking up space. Other than that I love OS X and glad I switched but
    the dock is one thing that is just killing me. Is there any way I can kill it
    and also run applications without seeing the desktop.

Thanks,

Just Switched

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The Dock is a part of the OS, it's made specifically for quick launching applications, you cannot get rid of it you can only hide it. The only way you will enjoy the switch is to get your mind out of thinking in the Windows centric way. They are NOT the same 2 OS's.

3. qacjared macrumors regular

The dock is to OS X as the Start Bar is to windows and even more so. OS X and most of its features would simply not work without it.

The Dock even predates OS X by 10 years:

[​IMG]

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Unfortunately HLdan is right. AFAIK there is no way to get rid of it. I love the dock myself, can't live without it. You can however make it REALLY REALLY tiny and turn magnification off and THEN hide it. You can also use programs like TinkerTool to have it on the bottom left or bottom right hand corner instead of in the middle.

But who knows, search around and you might be able to find a little app that will make it go away for you. :)

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

You could go into your CoreServices and delete the Dock.app file. However, you really shouldn't do that; it could break random things. For instance, without the Dock, you would not be able to minimize.

I've never tried it; I don't recommend it. Just do what others said, shrink the Dock and turn on auto-hiding.

6. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

When I first switched I too was a bit annoyed with the Dock. Over time you'll find that the Dock actually increases your productivity. My preference is to have it on the left side of the screen.

I agree with the others. You need to realize that OS X does things differently than Windows.

Congrats on the switch!

7. Just Switched thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. I really love OS X and wouldn't want to go back.
    I just find the dock as being a blatant theft of screen space. Everything
    else about OS X seems really well thought out. I was up and running
    in minutes. The dual quad 3.2 with Photoshop and After Effects just rocks.
    Much faster and more stable than my previous setup.

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Looks like an excuse to buy yourself a bigger display. :cool::p

9. qacjared macrumors regular

You can make it very very small:
    [​IMG]

10. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

The answer.

Command-option-d

Press it once to hide it.

Again to make it show.

For bonus points:
    when you want to know the definition of a word, hover the mouse over it and hold control-command-d.

Honestly, I think you should get used it it. It really is part of the experience and once you start using it after a little while, you'll love it.

11. Just Switched thread starter macrumors member

12. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

This is another indication that you just switched from Windows. I felt the same way after my switch last Christmas, wondering why the hell the "+" button didn't maximize my windows to take up the whole screen (and I wasn't the only one; there are many threads on this subject by new switchers). After 8 months of using OS X, I only want specific apps to take up the whole screen (iTunes and iPhoto are the first ones that come to mind). But mostly I prefer to have several smaller windows and switch between them using expose' or Spaces. But the dock is indispensable to me...although I *have* downloaded Quicksilver; I just haven't installed it yet.

Welcome aboard. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of helpful folks here.

James

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Get a bigger display, and turn it on auto-hide. And shrink it. Actually, you don't need the whole screen, unless you're doing some graphics-related work.

14. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

No problem. I'm glad I could help someone here and give something back to the community.

We all go through things like this. I just hope overtime he'll get used to a dock. I think once he realizes that there is no "start menu" and you can hide applications and other OSX features, he'll want it.

I tried Quicksilver. Honestly, I'd rather use spotlight for those kind of things.

I guess it might be because I never really spent that much time with it though...

15. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Here's an example of how I use my Dock. Most windows don't overlap so I only lose about 52 horizontal pixels.

[​IMG]

16. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

Everyone else here pretty much already addressed your concerns, but I'll reiterate for fun - hide it with option-command-D, make it as small as possible through system preferences, or try aligning it to the side of the screen if it's easier. I am also new to mac computers and although I've only had mine for about a month I loved the dock from the very beginning! It's super handy, and quite stylish in Leopard if I do say so! However, I'm still suffering from the Windows-user full screen syndrome, so it's taking a little work to adjust to that!

Give it time; I think you will grow to love your dock!